The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is my sump filling up with fuel ???
After the 'second rebuild' that I believe may have included a new set of rings and fuel pump rebuild with new diaphragm, new gaskets, fresh oil and spin on filter. I was told the engine was test run, and come and collect ( close to a 400+mile round trip) ( my 4th ). this was around the time of the first lockdown. The engine was refitted to the car for a second time, but then left alone while wife on furlough etc, anyway about 6 months ago I decided it was time to finish the total recommission of the whole car. Could I get the engine to start and run, it simply failed to do more than cough and never run for more than 2-3 mins, then stop and refuse to start, this sorry saga has now gone on for the past 6 months. My own observation is that the carb as a standard Zenith is not compatible with the comp ratio the Riccardo head gives (about 110 psi ) and the excess fuel (unburnt due to lack of starting/ possibly because of over rich mixture) is washing the bores dry and filling the sump by close to 1/2" plus above the high oil level mark. Several long term Austin 7 owners have looked at the engine in question, and they simply have run out of ideas as to its inability to run as expected, NGK A6 plugs were fitted by the builder, but has now suggested Champion 16D ??? Over to you guys again.

Hi Bob from NZ, there is no water in the sump, purely oil diluted to the point it is as thin a milk, when I drained it. Plan is to replace oil filter, fill with fresh 20-50 mineral oil and fit Champion plugs, + strobe the flywheel at 20 degrees BTC ( As suggested by the builder) as I run a Electronic Dizzy from Powerspark. My fear being the re metaled rods have been damaged !!!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is my sump filling up with fuel ??? - by flywheel1935 - 30-05-2021, 07:28 PM