The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of an engine rebuild to obtain more power unsupercharged
Some good advice, many thanks chaps.

I've got all the books mentioned and have a copy of the Practical Classics mag, in fact took it to the hospital this afternoon whilst the wife was having her eyes done!

I want to compare the costs of a "standard" rebuild...if such a beast exists, and a rebuild for more power/reliability/tractability in modern road conditions etc.

The chap in the magazine, Ian Bancroft, is he still rebuilding engines I wonder? I noticed in his rebuild that he didn't automatically renew the crank...clearly he tested it for cracks, but I've read on other posts that some would automatically renew a crank for example, and IB in the article displayed cracked con rods and had to replace 2 of them.

I guess it is all about budget, which clearly can run away.

Early days yet, as the chassis is dismantled and I'm about to rebuild it all over the next couple of months.

I must admit, new crank/rods/pistons seems a very good idea as a starter.

Now, you might laugh at this, but I've read variously that rebuilds are required around the 30K mark? How, realistically, can this all be extended, for example, the new crank/rods/pistons and perhaps a lot more, might the rebuild time be extended?

I'm assuming that going to a full rebuild might see me through a decade, and I would expect to knock up more than 30K miles during this period perhaps?

Arthur

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cost of an engine rebuild to obtain more power unsupercharged - by merlinart - 02-01-2018, 06:54 PM