The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! My Big7 is stuck in 1st gear!
Argghhh! 
It appears a disaster has befallen my '38 Big 7....... I can't shift the gearbox out of first and the 'box has gone 'tight'  Sad

I could really use some help or pointers - is there a typical failure mode with these 'boxes that might cause this?

I am resigned to stripping out the gearbox and dismantling (having already whipped the top cover off in situ and inspected with no obvious ailments) but it would be really useful if anyone might have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for....  Huh

Here's what happened.....

I went to use the car yesterday, it started as normal, shuffled it back and forth to get out of the garage, then pulled away in first, coasted down the drive in gear with the clutch in to approach the road (20m), got to the road and let the clutch out slowly to pull onto the highway and as it began to pull forward the car suddenly pulled up short (like the brakes had jammed on) and I couldn't move the gear lever. Thereupon I was stuck in the middle of the road, straddling the carriageway! I realised I was unable to move the car - I couldn't push it, couldn't get it out of gear and it would only move forward under engine power with difficulty (it would lurch forward when the clutch bite eventually overcame the high friction in the box) and that's where I was stuck.....

I managed to move the car to the edge of the road, whipped the top cover off the 'box to see if there was anything obvious (nothing, plenty of oil too), found I couldn't move the gear selector for 1st/2nd and that was it. I had to disconnect the propshaft to be able to move the car back to the garage. With that disconnected I can tell that the output drive flange on the gearbox is tight and won't move like it normally would, so the 'box has clearly gone tight internally somehow...

Help!

Messages In This Thread
Help! My Big7 is stuck in 1st gear! - by larrylamb11 - 11-07-2020, 08:33 AM