The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of us are using the Austin crankshaft?
The RN has an original 15/16th crank and has covered many miles three up and towing a trailer. I have just fitted a rebuilt "spare" engine with the same.
The RK was completely rebuilt and I used a new 1 5/16th and rods as it was on the original 1 1/8th  crank and rods. everything was original in the engine with crankcase,block and crank having matching part numbers so I decided to fit a new John Barlow 15/16th to preserve the original parts.
The supercharged engine for the TOP was built with an Austin 15/16th crank and rods which I drilled for pressure feeding. It lasted a couple of years until it broke at low revs probably due to the torque. The rods were transferred to another Austin crank that was ground to suit the rods.
The other two engines for the TOP both have original cranks and rods, including the one from the above. Both these engines have four jet lubrication. Both have been used, including as second car sometimes.
We sometimes forget "Bulit to last; and Sealed for life" didn't have 90 years in mind !

Messages In This Thread
RE: How many of us are using the Austin crankshaft? - by Lowespeed - 04-05-2020, 03:27 PM