The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only for those with deep pockets
Yes Tony I have all that in mind, I have been threatening for years to write an article about the three works Brookland's that ran in the 1924 season, one of which ultimately came to NZ in early 1925. Mike has recently published some details of the other two cars in the association magazine, I am not a natural writer but I have promised to try and get the article finished in the near future. There are some intriguing questions around the development of the Brooklands and why it was an official Austin endorsed model, Mike I hope you don't mind me repeating this and correct me if I have any detail incorrect, but some time ago Mike sent me a picture given him by GE himself stating that it was the first Brookland's ever built. We have photographic evidence which proves that this was the car Waite used in the 1924 Swiss GP, and appears to have further evolved with Waite during the 1924 season. We also know that GE drove a Brookland's prototype to victory in the 1923 JCC 200 mile race at Brookland's, if GE's statement to Mike is correct then this is one and the same car. We also know that following the success of the Barrel Austin had asked GE to construct a car for that looked recognisably like an Austin, and it seems more than probable that this is how the Model came into being and that it was developed in conjunction with the works. GE at the time would not have had the resources to make all the mechanical tuning modifications these early race cars had, I am sure he would have offered suggestions but I believe development was probably led by the works. Beatrice Canning Brown told me that she believed the three 1924 works Brooklands cars were the earlier Boulogne cup cars now re-bodied. It seems that Austin had sent GE a full works specification chassis on which the body could be constructed, possibly one of the earlier racers, the works appears to have then further developed these body's. There is also the conundrum of the significantly larger rear fairings of these very early prototype cars, it has been suggested that this was as a result of parallel rear springs as per later cars such as Slippery Ann and Mrs Jojo. I now am of a different opinion and believe that it was to house outboard rear dampers which allowed a slightly lower seating position which was then made even lower with the parallel springs, but I believe this was an evolving process over the 1924 and 1925 seasons. The works cars also had twin front dampers in 1924, yes it was not 750MC racers who came up with that one! Now that I have spilled half the story maybe I don't need to write an article....joking Mike. Of course I may have some things wrong so if anyone has anything to add I would be very interested to hear from them, I am of the opinion that by sharing the things we know a clearer picture evolves. Perhaps this should even form an seperate thread but I am not typing all of this again!
Black Art Enthusiast

Messages In This Thread
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by JonE - 20-04-2020, 11:52 AM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Alan - 20-04-2020, 01:40 PM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Alan - 21-04-2020, 11:17 AM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by austin - 21-04-2020, 03:54 PM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Ian Williams - 22-04-2020, 02:40 AM
RE: Only for those with deep pockets - by Alan - 03-05-2020, 04:27 PM