The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New chap in town with a Cambridge Special project
Good evening Gents.

A wee bit more progress has pretty near all of the chassis and running gear bolted together. We have a full box of gears, and by winding the starting handles we have a turning rear axle too!

Now would be a good time to pop down to Wickes and get a few sheets of hardboard to template and plan the floor boards.....
But never mind, that will have to wait.

Next will be ordering in bearings, spring shackle pins and bushes (and a good point well made Dave Mann, grease points are on my shopping list. But I'm wondering if oil would be more appropriate, if the bush had a relief for oil and the shackle pin had a drilling, ala Rolls 20hp)

The spring hanger at the front is monstrous heavy, I would guess 5lbs more than the gearbox! When I've got it leaned upz I'll see if I can loose a bit of weight here and there without compromising integrity. I'll certainly tidy up the edges where it was gas-axed out of the sheet of steel!

Charles, I don't think I knew about the driving test - that's great! It must have made a lovely change for the examiners as a car enthusiast, to have a real car as opposed to the more modern offerings I'm sure he was used to. I'll be honest, the thought of driving a 7 in London doesn't appeal to me in modern traffic!
That's interesting about the yellow though, I will have to do some more digging into the car's history and see if I can find the origin of the yellow. I'm pretty sure that I'll not keep the yellow, but I might hide/keep the odd bit here and there for continuities' sake.

Just to prove my long association with pre-war motoring, this is myself perched in one of Dad's other projects - a Riley Special that sadly is no longer in the family.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New chap in town with a Cambridge Special project - by Pete236 - 06-04-2020, 09:54 PM