The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are some things so difficult - to take apart?
Yep, in my experience, when it comes to modern vehicles I feel accessibility and serviceability can and does play second fiddle to the production engineers and the body engineers . Usually the regular service items such as drain plugs and filters aren't too bad to get at, but as two of the gentlemen here have alluded to, even on less exotic makes replacing globes can be another story... A very common make I used to work with,  most models had the entire power unit, wiring, and ancillaries plus the radiator, a/c condenser, intercooler and transmission coolers mounted on a subframe which was then inserted from below on the production line. Normal practice these days with most cars, good from a production point of view, but a stone damaged radiator say, had to be pulled out downwards, so that meant a hoist tied up for a couple of hours, and coolant dripping in ones face. Whereas when I first started in the late 60's for the same manufacturers product, hood open, four or six bolts, two jubilee hose clips and you're done (in the car park even).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are some things so difficult - to take apart? - by A G Wood - 21-01-2020, 10:11 AM