The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The chance of new crankshafts and rod etc
hi gene,

fair point.

the negative is, notice i dont have the lovely 45 degree rods in stock.

the profit in them is so small, its pointless in producing them as a business.

i only have them made when i need then for myself. or counterballanced cranks.

although in saying that, i did let my last set go to help someone out. and now need some for myself. so will look at having some more made.

hi ian,

the difference is apparently very small as pointed out to me, and it depends on how you want to gain strength.

ill leave all names out of this thread, as i dont want it to open out as a slanging match. but some things have to be explained to answer questions.

strength in forgings is good, but cracks can be forced in the process. i have returned cranks in the past with cracks. and thats why i produced the kiddy cranks a few years back.

when forgings are produced, the manufactureing company probably scrap 10 percent before they are sent for machining. companies will then machine 1 1/2 first. if there are inclusions. those billets will be machined to 1 5/16. then 1 1/8. there may still be some that are scrapped at the end of machining.

if there is any loss in strength of a billet, the gain is its unlikely there will be inclusions in high quality billets.

as for how they will be finished, counterballanced. is hard to answer. others can point out ballancing austin cranks better than me. but the bassics are austin cranks can only be ballanced outside of the engine. when the cranks are running inside the engine. the force is all on one side, and they are no longer ballanced. this may be able to be altered with counterballances.

and ian dont worry about picking holes. the hole point of this thread is i working out if its work producing better and higher quality products for austin 7s???

thanks tony

Messages In This Thread
RE: The chance of new crankshafts and rod etc - by Tony Betts - 14-09-2019, 10:18 PM