The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby saloon engine problem..
Denis, when doing forensic inspection on engines with an internal water leak, the clean bores are the ones that had water intrusion. The black deposits are probably from oil & fuel. Not too out of the ordinary for a first startup after an overhaul. Depending on the honing and ring material, bedding in can be very quick or exceedingly slow. Chrome rings in smooth finished bores can take forever. I'm assuming de rigueur for these engine's is cast iron rings. They are comparatively soft and should seat rapidly. Assembly oil (or really old assembly oil) can also create some carbon and varnish. If it's not smoking and, is making power, I'd have at it. Check your plugs in a bit for signs of oiling. Make sure that enough water didn't make it into the oil to ruin your day. A leak-down compression test would tell all. The shade tree version is to gut a spark plug, weld a fitting to it, bring a cylinder to TDC/valves closed, pressurize the cylinder with air and listen. Air may be heard leaking through the intake, exhaust, oil fill or radiator. This points to your issue (valves, rings, water leak, etc). The engine may "run" on air and move if the the piston is pushed down the bore, be careful (it won't come up against the air, it's not going far). You want things to stay at TDC long enough to listen. I'd wager that all 4 bores would have been similarly oiled and I'm not surprised considering the 30 year hiatus. The water cleaned some up nicely for you. Let's hope you don't have to see the insides again for a long while. Mike

Messages In This Thread
Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Denis Sweeney - 18-01-2019, 04:41 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by spannerman - 18-01-2019, 08:21 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Bob Culver - 18-01-2019, 09:05 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by John Mason - 18-01-2019, 09:09 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by FrogPond - 19-01-2019, 12:50 AM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Chris KC - 20-01-2019, 05:21 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by John Mason - 20-01-2019, 05:23 PM