The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby saloon engine problem..
(18-01-2019, 08:21 PM)spannerman Wrote: Done a rebuilt on a lot of old engine in my lifetime and going by the deposit I think the engine needs 500 miles on it before saying its has a fault ? Replace head and run !
Let the engine rev but try not to let it labor as the deposit looks like oil and water mix
To me , the piston rings will need some more miles so they bed in not wear in?
That's why you Need to keep the revs up but not laboring ! I think after a few miles more it be OK

Thanks to all for the responses, I have cleaned up all the deposits and as noted it was very sticky but has cleaned off just leaving some staining. 
I have now replaced the head with a new gasket and followed the extensive comments on this forum regarding torque settings and methodology, something I should have done before driving her!
But it was the cause of the deposits that was the concern, your comments here regarding the oil are similar to my brothers view that it could be oil. 
But we both agreed that the forum would be a good place to canvas views.
As this is my first venture at driving my Ruby I find it difficult to push her too hard, but brother says like yourself, I need to give her a bit more wellie.
I have managed to get her up to around 40mph (on the clock) but generally it has been just running around locally.
She sounds amazingly smooth.
Thanks again appreciate the comment.

Messages In This Thread
Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Denis Sweeney - 18-01-2019, 04:41 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by spannerman - 18-01-2019, 08:21 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Denis Sweeney - 18-01-2019, 08:55 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Bob Culver - 18-01-2019, 09:05 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by John Mason - 18-01-2019, 09:09 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by FrogPond - 19-01-2019, 12:50 AM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by Chris KC - 20-01-2019, 05:21 PM
RE: Ruby saloon engine problem.. - by John Mason - 20-01-2019, 05:23 PM