The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Practicle classics guide to the Austin seven
In general I think the magazine is really good especially the part on the engine with labelled component parts. My main problem with it, especially if it has been published to attract newcomers, is it banging on about hardened valve seats a task that may be relevant to racing or highly tuned Austin 7 engines but not to your average driver using their car over short distances. I've ignored this advice for the last 50 years and will continue to do so ! Admittedly, I add something like Castrol Valvemaster Plus to the fuel for long journeys (100+ miles) when I’m subjecting the engine to higher than usual revs (3000+rpm). 

To add weight to this point, there was an article in the Daily Mail today stating that there has been a 10% reduction in Classic Car values largely due to (in their opinion) a lack of engineers capable of dealing with such cars. As most experienced A7 owners’ are aware, one of the great merits of the Austin 7 is its simplicity enabling the average owner to maintain and work on it him/herself. This situation is not helped by the magazine's advisors frightening off potential owners with inappropriate complex tasks such as the insertion of hardened valve seats.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Practicle classics guide to the Austin seven - by James Anderson - 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM