The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Assembling 1938/39 rear axle casing
Tony and Bob thank you.
I hope to pluck up the courage to try the assembly today.
In our youth we often just used to do some of the jobs in blissful ignorance but with age and a lifetime of experience and learning one is aware of pitfalls and sometimes their disastrous consequences (written off engine parts/axles etc).

I do envy those with the engineering skills to be able to make precision parts.... but then my electronics/electric skills have proved very useful.
I still feel that there is a requirement for a good publication that contains all the DETAILED tips and "How To" information gained over the years for working on the Austin 7.  I have found that whilst the books like Bill Wiliams special builders guide, 750 'companion' and its predecessor, 750 special builders guide, are very useful they so often lack essential DETAIL of how or what and just rehash previous vague articles albeit with a few tips thrown in.

Forums are an excellent place to glean information but can be oh so time consuming to sift through for scraps of relevant information and each 7 club has its own so asking questions can be a tedious operation repeating them on numerous forums then looking back on each for answers.  I feel there should be one Austin 7 forum to which all could contribute.  It could have local sections where those interested only in local chit/chat/events could go for their information.  It could have an ever growing technical section becoming virtually a works like workshop manual.
Tony's information above about bearings is a good example of basic information that would be a very big help included in a publication.  The publication should be available in ring binder form so that pages (in plastic envelops) can be added as more information on each subject is found out. (see my PS below)  Modern computers and printers are  wonderful tools to enable such a thing.
Those that worked on the 'companion ' are to be applauded for the time and effort they gave, but I still feel that having bought it I found it a disappointment. A good example is the lack of information on the 1938/39 axle.  It is almost as if it doesn't exist.
A huge thanks and debt is owed to those that are dealing with the A7CA archive.  I have learned a lot from the works spares books, now freely available on line, and now know more about the later axle through the 1586A publication and even the Big 7 version and later spares publication and also the cards showing in depth works modifications.  How lucky we were that they were saved.

Rant nay thoughtful musings over.....back to work.

Dennis
PS my running of Reliant Scimitars (GTE and GTC) has led to my having the Makers workshop manual in ring binder format which is ever growing with corrections to erroneous information in the original and with further more detailed how to articles which fill in the gaps where professional mechanics/engineers would have been expected to already have the "basic" knowledge.  Yes I do frequently pass on the knowledge and answer questions on that club forum.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assembling 1938/39 rear axle casing - by Dennis Nicholas - 29-09-2017, 12:26 PM