The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were to buy an Austin Seven today - what would you look for?
I have been pondering this for a while.

One of the most popular cars in our club was a member (now sadly deceased) who had an Austin 12 bought in 1960 and which was truly original. Driven as a daily car ever since it was 100% original and 100% used. It wasn’t even oily rag, in that there was no attempt at preservation, it was just used. It was beautiful and gathered the crowds to look and admire, more than any shiny restored example could ever do. He even had his garage broken into and they only took the wheels. He and his car were a sad loss to the club.

I wanted neither an original car which would require ‘preservation’ to protect its originality, nor did I want a concourse car, which would require similar protection to preserve its ‘newness’.
I also didn’t want a car needing a huge amount of work. I just wanted something I could drive and enjoy without worrying about the road salt or stone chip.

Strangely now I am at a bit of a crossroads. I have fixed all those niggly things that were wrong (speedo now works, petrol gauge now works, cross head screws replaced, new clutch that doesn’t grind gears, new springs that don’t sag, refurbished brakes, fixed non-charging dynamo, repaired rusted and detached spare wheel holder, repaired leaky fuel tank, new steering arm, new steering ball joints, replaced gearbox and tunnel beaten aluminium sheet covers with correct items, replaced carpet with correct rubber, replaced blank steel sheet with correct patent plate etc etc). Many were cosmetic things to correct simple ‘wrongs’. I have also added select 'improvements' like indicators, break lights and electronic ignition.

Chrome is dull in places but I am happy that it shows its age, so that will stay as is. The headlights are wrong, but don’t look bad so I will probably leave as is.

Overall I know the car is in a much better condition and roadworthiness than when I purchased it 10 years ago, and that I am quite pleased with, I feel I am doing it justice.

With my RP having been restored in 1980 or so, for me I am down to things like wings. The paint is cracking and has chipped along the front edge. Do I remove and repaint them or do I leave as is showing their use and age. It’s a rhetorical question as it’s my decision and I simply don’t know at the moment. For now they will stay as they are. I will monitor to make sure they age rather than deteriorate. Perhaps that’s the key for my car, and for my answer to the original question, grow old gracefully on the surface, whilst having strong mechanicals (i.e. my slow burn new top end to the engine next) whilst avoiding rot and deterioration. 

You only need look at some of the Hollywood face lifts given to 80 year old actresses to know that 80 year olds with 20 year old faces is just wrong.

Yes I think I am comfortable with that.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you were to buy an Austin Seven today - what would you look for? - by Andy Bennett - 07-09-2018, 09:16 AM