The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were to buy an Austin Seven today - what would you look for?
Thanks to those who have replied so far.

I find myself agreeing with almost everything said. I have been offered a number of highly original cars over the years but, although I absolutely adore them, I have always very reluctantly passed because I know they will get ruined by the use I will give them.

I love bullet proof mechanics hidden beneath a 'pile' - wolf in sheep's clothing comes to mind. The '29 saloon is a bit like this, bits rattle and regularly fall off it , the paint is peeling, the windows are cracked and every single piece of upholstery is a different colour - pulls like a steam train, rides the road incredibly well and has steering to die for.

'28 Chummy came as a 1980/90s restoration that was built well but not necessarily 'correct' - after 10 years of abuse the body started to crack and split - if this had been original paint it would have been sacrilege to repair but it wasn't so I set about repairing it properly and rectifying some incorrect features. It is in a very solid state and an absolute delight to drive, particularly now that it has a proper Blic in place of the rather (insipid and ugly) coil conversion.

The Pearl, with the exception of a short period in the early 1990s, has been in constant use by the family for 50 years. As such, it's restorations have been over short concentrated periods usually alternating between bodywork and mechanical, each time work is carried out it acquires more correct features. The only downside to this approach is that just as the body work becomes rejuvenated the mechanics start to die and vice versa!

In short, if I were to buy another car today, I would be looking for an older restoration that looked straight, retained some features of it's past and something I could develop (with a clear conscience) over a long period time to suit my needs perfectly.

Cross head screws can be replaced, painted windscreens can be re-plated or changed for better (better is not always shiny!), lights changed for the correct type etc. etc.

An Austin 7, to me, is a means of transport with character - everything is fixable and an open- eyed awareness of how that is achieved can help prevent future disappointment.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you were to buy an Austin Seven today - what would you look for? - by Ruairidh Dunford - 07-09-2018, 07:55 AM