The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic brake conversion backplate
Viteran

I am just reassembling my rear hydraulics.  The back plates are the Morris Minor ones with the centres built out so back plate is further back to align shoes with drums. They have the BEEHIVE springs that hook onto a bracket on the back plate to hold the shoes in place against the back plate.  On the MM the  springs that pull the shoes together should fit between shoes and back plate so they ALSO pull the shoes towards the back plate, but as shown in your photo the built out back plate centre leaves no room to put them in the correct place so they have to be, as yours, on the outside of the shoes. The springs are tending to pull the shoes away from the backplates (in-spite of the BEEHIVE springs) so that the shoe friction surfaces are not parallel with the drum surface........not good.  How do you get the shoes to stay in and parallel? the shoes should, I believe, slide on the raised faces on the backplate just outer of the BEEHIVE fixing bracket  (in this position the friction surfaces are parallel with the drum).  I see you have the slightly different version (earlier back plate?) which has the BEEHIVE spring held to the back plate with split pins.
I have seen somewhere that someone drilled the back plate to take an M5/M6 or 2BA bolt which went through the shoe and back plate and with a lock nut outside the backplate adjusted the bolt till it just held the shoe nearly against the back plate (large washer under head to cover hole/slot in shoe).  I think the hole for the BEEHIVE spring would be big enough to allow shoe to move in and out without touching bolt and with lubricatio the washer under the bolt head would allow shoe to slide easily against the washer.
I am going to look at whether I can fix with the bolt method and whether the BEEHIVE spring can remain or if they will have to be removed and just have the bolts.

Does anyone else have this non parallel problem......how have you overcome it?   or   has anyone managed to have the springs in their correct place between shoe and backplate?  Perhaps some conversions were better engineered so that the middle built out section was made that bit narrower and the springs fitted where they should be??  There is not much distance in being able to get the springs inside (though they would probably just touch) and them not going in at all but sitting on the surface of the centre built out plate-to-axle mounting flange.

Dennis

Messages In This Thread
Hydraulic brake conversion backplate - by Mgibson - 05-02-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Hydraulic brake conversion backplate - by Dennis Nicholas - 25-08-2018, 02:45 PM