The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting engine & gearbox back into Chummy
(20-07-2018, 12:47 PM)John Ben Wrote: Hi folks

1927 Austin Chummy

Collect the engine after some work done, starter ring, clutch, bearings etc. I did leave the gearbox in situ when taking the engine out but now I find I cannot line it up properly with the gearbox to bolt them together. I have taken the gearbox out so I can match them up on the bench, which I have yet to complete. I am aware that there is a flat on the spline which should match exactly into the receiving hole in the clutch.
My question is can I reinsert the engine and gearbox back into the car as a unit?
Any other information would be helpful.

John B
The other replies all relate to useful experience. In my case I have found it possible to remove and refit the engine without gearbox removal. On one occasion, in a hurry to have the car ready for the 1992 JOGLE I think, I found I had got the clutch wrongly assembled but it was all back together and an attempted trial run showed that the clutch would not disengage. It took me two hours single handed without a hoist to remove the radiator etc and the engine, dismantle and re-assemble the clutch, put it all back together and do a satisfactory test run. We then did the JOGLE inside 24 hours.

Robert Leigh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fitting engine & gearbox back into Chummy - by Robert Leigh - 21-07-2018, 11:36 AM