The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bushes - Reaming King Pins & rear springs
There is another way.

I'm not alone in abandoning grease to king pins a long time ago replacing it with heavy oil. This gets round the problem with grease of it going hard at the bottom of the pin and blocking the hole.  With the earlier type stub axle things are easy as it's simply a case of unscrewing the brass plug and filling the pin with the oil from the oil can. You get the satisfaction  of seeing traces of oil around the king pin/stub axle indicating that it's got to where it's supposed to. 

With Girling stub axles it's a little more difficult. As when using grease, there is a tendency for the core plugs to the bottom and top of the stub to be displaced by the pressure of the grease/oil gun. Like most I struggled around this for a long time until Ian Sly showed me the solution. Ebay produced some small flip top oilers and with a bit of modification to some old, square block type, right angle grease nipples the oilers were able to be fitted into the greaser hole in the stub. Topping up is now easy and, of course, you still see traces of the oil around the king pin/stub axle. Yes, it does, sometimes, put a small drip down the inside of the tyres but that's easily wiped up and it does prove the oil's getting to where it should. 

Steve

PS: I was quite amused a couple of years ago to be told by a scrutineer that I appeared to have a hydraulic fluid leak to the Ulster's front brakes given the evidence of fluid around the stubs etc. He was a touch embarrassed when I pointed out the brake cables and explained to him what they did!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bushes - Reaming King Pins & rear springs - by Steve Jones - 06-07-2018, 04:42 PM