The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Re-using silcone sump gasket
Re-installing the aluminium sump on the 65 qnd the silcone gasket seems to have stretched, so that the holes no longer line up. I was under the impression that these gaskets are re-usable, but maybe I'm wrong? It is only out by the diameter of one hole over the length of the sump, so I'm thinking it should squish up if I go steady and install all the bolts loose to let it sort itself out. Am I being over optimistic?
Colin My advice would be to save your old oil in a clean container and re use it after replacing the sump and old gasket. If no leaks drain and replace with new fresh oil.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi John
The thought had occurred to me, but being super efficient,my 5 gallon container of waste oil went to the tip last week!
I have bitten the bullet and ordered a couple more from Jamie.
Interested to know if anyone has successfully re-used these though?
I don’t know because I’ve never reused one but oily silicon is very slippery and I think I remember a thread discussing how it was essential to fit these dry to prevent them squeezing out of the joint.
Alan Fairless
In my experience, unless you can get it completely clean and dry it will never seal again - a new one is a safer bet.
Thanks, that seems pretty definitive; only re-use if desperate. I got it clean in the degreaser and then washed it in warm water and left it to dry, and apart from the stretch it seemed OK. However, the sealing face of the crankcase has left a noticeable indent, so clearly they don't bounce back as one might hope. When I fitted it originally the engine was freshly rebuilt so everything was squeaky clean. I nipped it up pretty gingerly and then went back the following day and tightened it. Quite difficult to judge how hard to tighten it to avoid the squish, and I left it a tad looser than I inititially felt comfortable with. No leaks though, so not dogging it hard down seems the way to go.
Out of interest has anyone used the 0.8mm Neoprene gaskets available from Austin7Ulster?

I used a silicone one which did work but I was nervous about not fully tightening the sump screws and would have thought the thinner neoprene option would probably not be so susceptible to squeezing out.
if they need replacing all the time it seems an expensive route - is anyone just using liquid gasket with paper or without? I the worry about 'bits' coming off and getting into the oil feed though, if its under the screen.
To be fair, Jon, I only took the sump off to get the engine out to change the gearbox, otherwise I wouldn't have been taking it off for several thousand miles.
(Yesterday, 09:14 PM)JonE Wrote: if they need replacing all the time it seems an expensive route - is anyone just using liquid gasket with paper or without? I the worry about 'bits' coming off and getting into the oil feed though, if its under the screen.

I stick my (alloy) sump on with Threebond, seems to work pretty well. I run a full flow oil filter / pressure fed engine but anyway haven't had any problem with 'bits'.