The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition problem
I have tried everything to get my Austin Nippy to go.
There is petrol in the carb.
I have renewed the points, rotor arm, condenser  and coil and still no spark at the plugs.
The battery is new and well charged.
I simply can’t  find the problem -any ideas or advise guaranteed to meet with everlasting gratitude
no spark?
checked the route to earth?
checked the polarity of everything?
king lead?
Remove the coil lead from the distributor cap. With the ignition switched on, hold the end of the coil lead close to the cylinder head, motor the engine on the starter and you shoild have a spark between the coll lead and cylinder head. If you get a spark, fault is in rotor arm or distributor cap [carbon brush] or plug leads.
If no spark, disconnect the low tension ignition lead from the distributor. With ignition switched on, flash the ignition lead to earth on dynamo or radiator cowl. You should get a spark from low tension lead to earth. If spark is there, fault is in the points or condenser, or earthing of the fixed contact breaker point. 
If no spark from low tension lead, check ignition feed from switch to coil, low tension lead continuity from coil to distributor. If these are OK, subsitute the coil, and repeat all tests.
John
Hi,
I was at Moreton a few weeks ago with my Nippy. Parked a few cars away was another one which wouldn't run / ran very poorly. Various people had apparently tried various things to no avail the day before.
I went through what they'd done apparently - no results unsurprisingly! - until I noticed the wire from the condensor was trapped in the distributor. The insulation had partially worn through and the wire was shorting out. A quick wrap of tape and the car burst into life.
It may be that your problem is something as simple as this?...
Best wishes,
Nick
Where are you based? It's much easier to diagnose things around the car than it is by computer correspondence.

I'll attempt to attach my "A7 Doesn't Start" sheet which might give you some ideas, I doubt it's exhaustive though...

.xlsx   A7 Doesn't Start.xlsx (Size: 19.27 KB / Downloads: 69)