The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floor-mounted starter button and choke control
The mid-1930 onwards cars with the floor-mounted starter button. Is the choke ring on this model still positioned to the left of the dashboard - or was it moved to the right to prevent a display of contortionist skills as one attempts to operate them simultaneously?
On my RN the choke ring is to the right of the steering column and starter button ton the passenger side floor
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
The RM also has the choke cable through the steering column mounting. What does the choke swivel on the front of the bulkhead look like, Tony? Cars with the choke on the passenger's side have the swivel bolted directly through the bulkhead, so one 1/4" hole in the bulkhead, whilst the later cars have the swivel mounted onto an angled bracket with two smaller holes (0BA or 3/16"?).

(03-05-2021, 12:10 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: The RM also has the choke cable through the steering column mounting. What does the choke swivel on the front of the bulkhead look like, Tony? Cars with the choke on the passenger's side have the swivel bolted directly through the bulkhead, so one 1/4" hole in the bulkhead, whilst the later cars have the swivel mounted onto an angled bracket with two smaller holes (0BA or 3/16"?).

Thanks, both. That makes sense; as the wire passing through the bulkhead does not go straight through (as on earlier cars) but is at a considerable angle, the swivel bracket must be as yours, Mike. I never had the original choke pull on my PL 3002 Chummy - but there are two holes that appear to be correct. Of course, the last hyper-bodger owner managed to lose the steering column clamp and the replacement is without the required hole. Do you have a picture of the arrangement as the wire passes through the column clamp? Might it have a large hole for a brass sleeve to pass through, with a slot beneath to let the wire drop into?
My RN had the same swivel  as Mike's. The Chummy had a single bolt type. The steering bracket appears to be the same on RN and RP but the hole wasn't drilled. There was on my RN a round leather disc on the bottom of the scuttle with two spilts in it, which the "rod " passed through to stop it rattling probably.
    This is an RN choke pull Tony
Thanks, Dave. That's a lot simpler than the early Chummy type with a bracket drilled with a hole for the brass ferrule to slip through and beneath it a slot for the wire. I've just made something of a replica assembly - but mounted to the right of the steering wheel.
The one shown to the right - I wonder what year that is? It has a simple spoke-type nipple to hold the choke on.

Attached Files
.jpg   xzxzxChoke.jpg (Size: 117.16 KB / Downloads: 104)
.jpg   xzxzxChoke2.jpg (Size: 6.42 KB / Downloads: 102)
.jpg   xzxzxChoke3.jpg (Size: 36.8 KB / Downloads: 98)
.jpg   xzxzxChoke4.jpg (Size: 22.87 KB / Downloads: 95)