The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
My Ruby has been shot! - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: My Ruby has been shot! (/showthread.php?tid=5460)

Pages: 1 2

My Ruby has been shot! - Francis - 30-12-2020

My name is Francis and l have a 1934 Ruby which is nearing completion of a 25 year restoration project! It is only recently that three, 1/4inch bullet holes have been discovered, one through the radiator cowl behind the winged badge and one either side of the roof above the windscreen. The former hole is still visible but the two above the screen have been lead filled at some point and are only visible from inside.
Does my car have history?

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Charles Levien - 30-12-2020

(30-12-2020, 05:58 PM)Francis Wrote: My name is Francis and l have a 1934 Ruby which is nearing completion of a 25 year restoration project! It is only recently that three, 1/4inch bullet holes have been discovered, one through the radiator cowl behind the winged badge and one either side of the roof above the windscreen. The former hole is still visible but the two above the screen have been lead filled at some point and are only visible from inside.
Does my car have history?

it used to be an expression used by prospective buyers in an attempt to disparage and achieve a lower price — I remember a young dentist describing the gearbox on a special I was selling as, “ absolutely shot”.
So, Francis, this may be the first instance where this expression would be totally relevant.

Charles

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Francis - 30-12-2020

Smile Smile Smile

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Mike Costigan - 30-12-2020

Over the years I have had several cars fitted with the Ruby cowl, and I'm pretty sure they have all had the 'bullet hole' behind the badge (in addition to the necessary two holes for mounting the badge) - it has always puzzled me. Perhaps this thread will solve the puzzle!

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Tony Griffiths - 30-12-2020

If real bullet holes, the metal on the inside will be splayed out. Presumably, the holes in the roof are symmetrically placed with clean edges. If so, what are they for - dual windscreen wipers?

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Ruairidh Dunford - 30-12-2020

My understanding is that the ragged hole in the rad cowl was used to hang it up whilst being painted, the ones above the windscreen are a feature of Rubies and Pearls...

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Tony Betts - 30-12-2020

hi R,

hadnt heard that one before.

thought the hole was to let water out, so it didnt rot behind the badge.

best thing to do, is to snap the badge in halve. and tell everyone its a bullet hole from world war 2.  see what reactions you get.

tony

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Nick Salmon - 30-12-2020

There was a thread about the 'bullet holes' on the old forum. Concensus was that they are part of the paint process.

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - Tony Betts - 30-12-2020

why not hang them by the bonnet bar hole, its already there.

RE: My Ruby has been shot! - John Mason - 31-12-2020

Re the holes in the roof. Could it be to enable the body’s to be used for export models and put the windscreen wiper on the opposite side.

John Mason.