The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My Ruby has been shot!
My name is Francis and l have a 1934 Ruby which is nearing completion of a 25 year restoration project! It is only recently that three, 1/4inch bullet holes have been discovered, one through the radiator cowl behind the winged badge and one either side of the roof above the windscreen. The former hole is still visible but the two above the screen have been lead filled at some point and are only visible from inside.
Does my car have history?
(30-12-2020, 05:58 PM)Francis Wrote: My name is Francis and l have a 1934 Ruby which is nearing completion of a 25 year restoration project! It is only recently that three, 1/4inch bullet holes have been discovered, one through the radiator cowl behind the winged badge and one either side of the roof above the windscreen. The former hole is still visible but the two above the screen have been lead filled at some point and are only visible from inside.
Does my car have history?

it used to be an expression used by prospective buyers in an attempt to disparage and achieve a lower price — I remember a young dentist describing the gearbox on a special I was selling as, “ absolutely shot”.
So, Francis, this may be the first instance where this expression would be totally relevant.

Charles
Smile Smile Smile
Over the years I have had several cars fitted with the Ruby cowl, and I'm pretty sure they have all had the 'bullet hole' behind the badge (in addition to the necessary two holes for mounting the badge) - it has always puzzled me. Perhaps this thread will solve the puzzle!
If real bullet holes, the metal on the inside will be splayed out. Presumably, the holes in the roof are symmetrically placed with clean edges. If so, what are they for - dual windscreen wipers?
My understanding is that the ragged hole in the rad cowl was used to hang it up whilst being painted, the ones above the windscreen are a feature of Rubies and Pearls...
hi R,

hadnt heard that one before.

thought the hole was to let water out, so it didnt rot behind the badge.

best thing to do, is to snap the badge in halve. and tell everyone its a bullet hole from world war 2.  see what reactions you get.

tony
There was a thread about the 'bullet holes' on the old forum. Concensus was that they are part of the paint process.
why not hang them by the bonnet bar hole, its already there.
Re the holes in the roof. Could it be to enable the body’s to be used for export models and put the windscreen wiper on the opposite side.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.