The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Clutch slip - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Clutch slip (/showthread.php?tid=4820)

Pages: 1 2 3

Clutch slip - Dave Mann - 19-08-2020

I've been asked to look at a Seven which suffers clutch only when negotiating a hill on a bend with no bother on a straight hill. Anybody any bright ideas as to what is going on?l

RE: Clutch slip - Alan - 19-08-2020

You sure it’s clutch slip and not wheelspin? Otherwise first thing I’d look at is are the engine mounts tight.

RE: Clutch slip - David Witton - 19-08-2020

Halfshaft key shearing on taper? Some years ago pal of mine had similar symptoms and that was the cause

RE: Clutch slip - Ian Williams - 19-08-2020

Agreed half shaft key failure, is the first thing I would look at.

RE: Clutch slip - Dave Wortley - 20-08-2020

Probably not much help Dave but my chummy also has this problem when exiting our drive. Very steep at the top bit and a full left hand lock. No slip anywhere else. I sold it to Tony Griffiths so he might know the cure.

RE: Clutch slip - Tony Griffiths - 20-08-2020

(20-08-2020, 11:15 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Probably not much help Dave but my chummy also has this problem when exiting our drive. Very steep at the top bit and a full left hand lock. No slip anywhere else. I sold it to Tony Griffiths so he might know the cure.
Indeed - it is very strange indeed. And no, it's not the half-shafts; I did the rear brakes a few weeks ago and the keys and tapers were in first-class-engineered-blue-split-pins-dead-in-line-through-the-holes-previously-assembled-by-an-expert order. No doubt, when it comes apart, we'll find out what the gremlin is!

RE: Clutch slip - Alan - 20-08-2020

When you apply left lock it unloads the LH rear wheel. Particularly if the dampers are a bit loose. With less load the wheel has less grip and if you apply sufficient torque it will spin. That’s what’s happening. The clutch doesn’t know if it’s in a corner or not.

RE: Clutch slip - Tony Griffiths - 20-08-2020

(20-08-2020, 10:20 PM)Alan Wrote: When you apply left lock it unloads the LH rear wheel.  Particularly if the dampers are a bit loose. With less load the wheel has less grip and if you apply sufficient torque it will spin.  That’s what’s happening.  The clutch doesn’t know if it’s in a corner or not.
There was a slight error in the reporting; it's not turning off-camber and so unloading the inside wheel and causing it to spin, but making a right-angle turn, left or right, before going straight up a steep hill that (sometimes) causes the clutch slip. Approach the hill straight on - and there is no slip.

RE: Clutch slip - Alan - 21-08-2020

So, to be clear, do you mean the slip takes place on a straight action of hill AFTER you have turned a sharp corner onto it? If so, is it instantaneous or does it last a while?

RE: Clutch slip - Bob Culver - 21-08-2020

I hope this gets sorted soon. The concept of a taper slipping to the extent that it can be mistaken for clutch slip is keeping me awake at nights!
(Sevens can produce curious effects. Decades ago a young mechanic apprentice lived near me. I was the only other Seven owner for miles so we often compared notes on our "motoring". Out one Saturday night there was a bang and his Seven mysteriously commenced to torque steer left and right.....all the way home. His Trade classes had not covered that.)