The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch slip
I've been asked to look at a Seven which suffers clutch only when negotiating a hill on a bend with no bother on a straight hill. Anybody any bright ideas as to what is going on?l
You sure it’s clutch slip and not wheelspin? Otherwise first thing I’d look at is are the engine mounts tight.
Alan Fairless
Halfshaft key shearing on taper? Some years ago pal of mine had similar symptoms and that was the cause
Agreed half shaft key failure, is the first thing I would look at.
Black Art Enthusiast
Probably not much help Dave but my chummy also has this problem when exiting our drive. Very steep at the top bit and a full left hand lock. No slip anywhere else. I sold it to Tony Griffiths so he might know the cure.
(20-08-2020, 11:15 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Probably not much help Dave but my chummy also has this problem when exiting our drive. Very steep at the top bit and a full left hand lock. No slip anywhere else. I sold it to Tony Griffiths so he might know the cure.
Indeed - it is very strange indeed. And no, it's not the half-shafts; I did the rear brakes a few weeks ago and the keys and tapers were in first-class-engineered-blue-split-pins-dead-in-line-through-the-holes-previously-assembled-by-an-expert order. No doubt, when it comes apart, we'll find out what the gremlin is!
When you apply left lock it unloads the LH rear wheel. Particularly if the dampers are a bit loose. With less load the wheel has less grip and if you apply sufficient torque it will spin. That’s what’s happening. The clutch doesn’t know if it’s in a corner or not.
Alan Fairless
(20-08-2020, 10:20 PM)Alan Wrote: When you apply left lock it unloads the LH rear wheel.  Particularly if the dampers are a bit loose. With less load the wheel has less grip and if you apply sufficient torque it will spin.  That’s what’s happening.  The clutch doesn’t know if it’s in a corner or not.
There was a slight error in the reporting; it's not turning off-camber and so unloading the inside wheel and causing it to spin, but making a right-angle turn, left or right, before going straight up a steep hill that (sometimes) causes the clutch slip. Approach the hill straight on - and there is no slip.
So, to be clear, do you mean the slip takes place on a straight action of hill AFTER you have turned a sharp corner onto it? If so, is it instantaneous or does it last a while?
Alan Fairless
I hope this gets sorted soon. The concept of a taper slipping to the extent that it can be mistaken for clutch slip is keeping me awake at nights!
(Sevens can produce curious effects. Decades ago a young mechanic apprentice lived near me. I was the only other Seven owner for miles so we often compared notes on our "motoring". Out one Saturday night there was a bang and his Seven mysteriously commenced to torque steer left and right.....all the way home. His Trade classes had not covered that.)