The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" (/showthread.php?tid=4085)

Pages: 1 2 3

TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Rpm - 27-03-2020

Hi All, Thank you for the interesting info on the Nippy axle. This morning I wire brushed the axle/springs with a copper wire brush and discovered this reference number they appear each end on opposite sides plus the remains of a number on top of the beam. the number is 1A4060 the script reads Austin reg'd the top beam number assume is the same.
RPM. apologies repeated pics couldn't remove.

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - JonE - 27-03-2020

so thats a standard range number - was that used before 9E, or is this something else?
I note that doesn't look like a sports steering arm - does that have a number on it?

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Rpm - 27-03-2020

Hi Jon , The steering arm shown is marked ref 1A4604. welcome to use any pics for the site or if I can assist.
RPM.

The top beam number may have had a prefix of 9E looks like it starts with 9 view is upside down .
RPM

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Colin Wilks - 27-03-2020

The radius on that steering arm looks bigger than a standard seven's. Is 1A4604 from a different Austin? The one you have looks more like David Cochrane's design.

This thread from 2018 seems to indicate it's from a Big Seven -  Steering and ROSE joints

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Rpm - 27-03-2020

Sorry, Colin, You are asking the uninitiated, I'm new to all this A7 stuff.
Regards

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - spannerman - 27-03-2020

It's not a big 7 been painting one today
And it is a completely different shape !

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Ian Williams - 28-03-2020

Sorry spanner man I disagree with you, IA4604 is a big seven steering arm and the one pictured appears to be the correct shape.

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Bob Culver - 28-03-2020

But slightly bent? I found on my car would shift the ball joint position so the drop arm far from vertical. Do users make up a drag link? Unless nicely seated and the nut kept tight the shoulder would still seem to be a risk.

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - JonE - 28-03-2020

(28-03-2020, 01:19 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Sorry spanner man I disagree with you, IA4604 is a big seven steering arm and the one pictured appears to be the correct shape.

Was Spannerman referring to the axle itself?
We are still pondering why it has a 1A marking. Rob, it couldnt have a 9E on the top and a 1A on the side surely?... that COULD be a chassis number stamping?

Thinking it, its clearly not a big R7 axle as the radius arm connection are different. So were the 9E axles converted from 1A items and then remarked??

RE: TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE" - Rpm - 28-03-2020

All very strange and gets a conversation going on matters A7s to which there are hundreds to ponder over. can see what you are saying Jon re ref numbers 1A AND 9E together.
Taken from a Nippy 45 years ago along with Rad/surround plus sports gearbox S.
Thanks again everyone for the education. RPM