The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE"
Hi All, Thank you for the interesting info on the Nippy axle. This morning I wire brushed the axle/springs with a copper wire brush and discovered this reference number they appear each end on opposite sides plus the remains of a number on top of the beam. the number is 1A4060 the script reads Austin reg'd the top beam number assume is the same.
RPM. apologies repeated pics couldn't remove.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

so thats a standard range number - was that used before 9E, or is this something else?
I note that doesn't look like a sports steering arm - does that have a number on it?
Hi Jon , The steering arm shown is marked ref 1A4604. welcome to use any pics for the site or if I can assist.
RPM.

The top beam number may have had a prefix of 9E looks like it starts with 9 view is upside down .
RPM

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The radius on that steering arm looks bigger than a standard seven's. Is 1A4604 from a different Austin? The one you have looks more like David Cochrane's design.

This thread from 2018 seems to indicate it's from a Big Seven -  Steering and ROSE joints
Sorry, Colin, You are asking the uninitiated, I'm new to all this A7 stuff.
Regards
It's not a big 7 been painting one today
And it is a completely different shape !
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Sorry spanner man I disagree with you, IA4604 is a big seven steering arm and the one pictured appears to be the correct shape.
Black Art Enthusiast
But slightly bent? I found on my car would shift the ball joint position so the drop arm far from vertical. Do users make up a drag link? Unless nicely seated and the nut kept tight the shoulder would still seem to be a risk.
(28-03-2020, 01:19 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Sorry spanner man I disagree with you, IA4604 is a big seven steering arm and the one pictured appears to be the correct shape.

Was Spannerman referring to the axle itself?
We are still pondering why it has a 1A marking. Rob, it couldnt have a 9E on the top and a 1A on the side surely?... that COULD be a chassis number stamping?

Thinking it, its clearly not a big R7 axle as the radius arm connection are different. So were the 9E axles converted from 1A items and then remarked??
All very strange and gets a conversation going on matters A7s to which there are hundreds to ponder over. can see what you are saying Jon re ref numbers 1A AND 9E together.
Taken from a Nippy 45 years ago along with Rad/surround plus sports gearbox S.
Thanks again everyone for the education. RPM