The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Front hubs
Hi

The brake lever/actuator arm has a slight twist so that viewed from above the axis of the ball on the end is at right angles to the brake cable. I have a feeling that modern reproductions are not handed in this way.

From memory the cotter pin (uk parlance) has a taper angle of about 15 degrees, so reversing it will alter the angle of the brake lever by 30 degrees.
(22-04-2024, 07:59 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Your front brake levers should sit forward and front, not straight down as in your photo.  Is it still in this position with the pistons, shoes and springs all in place?

Girling cotters are orientated with the nuts towards the centre of the car, front and rear (opposite of Austin brake cotters).

Yes, the brakes are fully assembled, springs and everything. The arm is straight down. I don't know what is going on here.

(22-04-2024, 08:19 AM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hi

The brake lever/actuator arm has a slight twist so that viewed from above the axis of the ball on the end is at right angles to the brake cable.  I have a feeling that modern reproductions are not handed in this way.

From memory the cotter pin (uk parlance) has a taper angle of about 15 degrees, so reversing it will alter the angle of the brake lever by 30 degrees.

Okay, I'll check it out tomorrow and get back.
Cheers, Geoffrey
I have seen this before - a batch of Girling brake cams were (incorrectly) made like this.

You need to order a set from here, the slot is correct and will make a huge difference to your braking.

https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...ms-girling
Awesome, thanks Ruairidh. I can see the offset in the cotter pin slot to the cam. It seems there is no way that these cams are made that way. I'll remove the old ones and check before I order. Thanks again.
Cheers, Geoffrey