The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Front hubs
(15-04-2024, 07:49 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: You can replace the split pin with a roll pin (see photo) much easier to fit and remove. Terry.

Hi Terry, offhand can you remember the size/diameter? I'm going to give this a try. There are different sizes of which 2 or 3 might fit. It would save me coming home with several sizes in my pocket. Thanks.

(15-04-2024, 07:08 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Geoffrey,

Yes, I have always used a specially thinned socket to remove the nut and shear the split pin.

I bought a cheap 21mm socket and modified it according to your ideas. It works a treat, thanks!
Cheers, Geoffrey
For sealed bearings, replacements for the front hubs/axles, are they standard bearings? Does anyone have part numbers please? Thanks.
Cheers, Geoffrey
If you are handy to Auckland, you could take your existing bearings to SAECWilson and they could probably look at the numbers on them and measure them, then sell you modern sealed bearings that will fit. They did that for replacing my rear axle bearings 3 years ago.
Split pin size, the original split pins were 7/64" 2.77mm, drill out to 3mm or 1/8" as this size roll pin is easier to find. Terry.
(20-04-2024, 10:37 AM)Graham Barker Wrote: If you are handy to Auckland, you could take your existing bearings to SAECWilson and they could probably look at the numbers on them and measure them, then sell you modern sealed bearings that will fit. They did that for replacing my rear axle bearings 3 years ago.

There's a SAECOWilson in Whangarei where I go once a week. I was planning to drop in there and spend some money. Thanks.

(20-04-2024, 07:54 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: Split pin size, the original split pins were 7/64" 2.77mm, drill out to 3mm or 1/8" as this size roll pin is easier to find. Terry.

Yeah, it's what I suspected. From a quick measurement it is under 3mm. Thanks for your help.
Cheers, Geoffrey
Okay folks, I have dismantled and removed the front backing plates (semi-Girling). I think that I read somewhere that the brake actuators are handed, marked NS and OS. I can't find any markings on these, and the levers are exactly inline with the centre of the hub when in the relaxed state.
Am I missing something here? Again from what I think I read, I understood that the brake actuators were at an angle from the centreline. They are obviously not. Any help appreciated, as always.
Cheers, Geoffrey
Perhaps the cotter pins securing the levers need turning round. ( from front to back)

The cotter nuts should be to the front.
(20-04-2024, 09:02 AM)falcott Wrote: For sealed bearings, replacements for the front hubs/axles, are they standard bearings? Does anyone have part numbers please? Thanks.

Rear Hub and Front hub inner sealed bearing:

RHP LJ 1 1/4 SRR

SKF RLS 10 2RS

Front Hub outer RHP LJ 3/4 SRR

SKF RLS 6 2RS

Tony.

These are imperial (inch series) bearings so old stock is recommended
(21-04-2024, 07:36 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Perhaps the cotter pins securing the levers need turning round. ( from front to back)

The cotter nuts should be to the front.

Drat, I meant to attach a photo and obviously forgot. Anyway here it is to illustrate what I said. The actuator arm is not symmetrical but has a "wave" in it. Is there a way in which the "wave" of the actuator arm should be facing? I know it is difficult to explain. This photo is of the left hand backing plate. Also, the straight-edge is a ruler stood on edge, through the centre of the hub, and the ball of the actuator is in line with the centre (despite the slight discrepancy in the photo).

So RR, if the cotter pin is to the front, does it change the actuator angle? Thanks.

(21-04-2024, 11:15 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(20-04-2024, 09:02 AM)falcott Wrote: For sealed bearings, replacements for the front hubs/axles, are they standard bearings? Does anyone have part numbers please? Thanks.

Rear Hub and Front hub inner sealed bearing:

RHP LJ 1 1/4 SRR

SKF RLS 10 2RS

Front Hub outer RHP LJ 3/4 SRR

SKF RLS 6 2RS

Tony.

These are imperial (inch series) bearings so old stock is recommended

Hi Tony, 
I went into SAECOWilson today and came away with the bearings, part numbers as you've given above. One made by KSM and the other by JAF. I'm guessing they are exactly the same. I haven't fitted them as yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers, Geoffrey
Your front brake levers should sit forward and front, not straight down as in your photo. Is it still in this position with the pistons, shoes and springs all in place?

Girling cotters are orientated with the nuts towards the centre of the car, front and rear (opposite of Austin brake cotters).