The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamator
Finally bought a dynamator after looking for a while for my build
Any advice on how I can make it better/ more reliable apart from bin it
I have heard too many bad reports of dynamators, but I admit to not trying one myself. The original dynamos were pretty reliable, and can usually be fixed at a reasonable price if they do go wrong. In today's situation where LED lights are readily avilable the use of these with traditional dynamo should be a very long lasting combination. The dynamo can be set to a lower output improving reliabilty, ammeter at 0 with the lights on.
The only thing I am aware of as a non owner is to make sure the drive gear is not one with the incorrect pitch and which caused excessive wear.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I had heard that it can be swapped with a dynamo drive

Thanks for that
I had hoped the question was clear but I obviously failed
Why not search for the long forum thread on Accuspark Dynamators, as a lot of this has been disscussed already on the forum. Aside from the drive gear pitch problem, a lot of owners have reported that they work well. Mine does.
Last time i looked they weren't currently for sale.
Mine worked well for a while (after the first was replaced under guarantee), but has developed a fault whereby the regulator circuit has failed and it charges at a constant 10amps. A shame as if they were bomb proof, they would have been a great solution. However, in the meantime, LED lamps have got a lot better and with the resultant drop in current requirements, there is a lesser case for the Dynamator solution now. IMHO anyway and I am planning a return to the original equipment with dynamo output dialled right back to (say) 3 amps...
Yeah done that
Can both drives be swapped with the C35 ?
Why bother, easier and better to keep it standard in my veiw. Smile
I agree with Nick. If your car is typical of the limited mileage now run by most A7s, I believe the standard 6-volt dynamo system to be perfectly adequate - and a rebuilt dynamo will last a very long time. In today's traffic conditions, LED bulbs mean that the headlights can, for safety, be used as running lights (or as required in bad weather) with their low draw meaning that the battery remains fully charged. 
http://www.lathes.co.uk/austin7-2/page18.html