The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
slack tollerance of new springs and pins
Hi All,

Well I have the first of my new rear leaf springs fitted - the subject of an earlier post.

A problem of side float has occurred around the spring pin bushes. I have seen articles talking about producing a spacing washer to reduce or eliminate this. Has anyone experience of this and an opinion on whether it is worth it? - the resulting gap is more than 1/16".

The other problem (?) I have also seen alluded to elsewhere - that is the spring pin being forced back outwards when the cotter is fully pressed home. This forces the spring pin back about 3/32" so the large stop on the pin is not against the hub fitting. Should this be corrected or do I live with it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Do the cognoscenti use proper bearings OR sealed ones?
Side float- I always shim to take up the clearance. I fit the shims between the top hat bush and the springs, this can be a bit fiddly and I’m sure it would be ok to put them in the gap if you wanted.
The other problem - I’d live with it
Sealed bearings- I’d use them but I wouldn’t replace a bearing that was otherwise ok.

See you Monday
Alan Fairless
(14-03-2024, 09:24 PM)Old Dave Wrote: The other problem (?) I have also seen alluded to elsewhere - that is the spring pin being forced back outwards when the cotter is fully pressed home. This forces the spring pin back about 3/32" so the large stop on the pin is not against the hub fitting. Should this be corrected or do I live with it?

Do the cognoscenti use proper bearings OR sealed ones?

This seems to be a feature of the reproduction pins that are available now. It doesn't seem to affect their longevity, just make sure there's plenty of grease around the area.

I think the bearing choice is a personal one, sealed bearings may give you better oil tightness but can dry out in time, whereas open bearings are easy to lubricate and re-lubricate and re-lubricate.
I have never worried about side clearance on the spring. Because the springs splay apart there is sideways movement as the springs flex anyway. The Austin suspension is very simple and nothing is critical so lonag as nothing can fall off.
We use sealed bearings. No grease is then needed in the hub so it can't get on the brakes. Also the sealed bearing won't allow oil to pass through hence protecting against axle oil finding itys way onto the brakes which it is always keem to do.
Jim
Unless you're racing the side clearance on the pins isn't too much of an issue, and the bearings will only see 500rpm, the sealed version just negates the felt seals and potential escaping grease.
Thanks all for your reassuring comments. It is tempting to shim the springs as Alan suggests, especially as the hub is off. Trouble is I have added more jobs as I have gone along, so might leave for a later date or I won't be on the spring run... I have the near side to do now and as a right-hander that will be more taxing getting the spring out. The wife is ambidextrous, but we don't mention that.

Yes Alan see you tomottow.