The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Won't Start !!!
Help please, Special won't start. Symptoms are just like a flat battery so change the battery. Still the same !! Could it be a poor earth or is it possible  that the starter motor has died. Opinions gratefully received. Thanks Clive Medland
Very likely to be a bad connection somewhere.
If a connection is bad it gets hot when the starter is operating because there is a lot of current flowing.
Operate the starter for a few seconds then check all the connections to see if any are hot.
Connections to cneck are both battery terminals, where the earth lead from the battery connects to the body/chassis, where the lead from the battery connects to the starter motor. If any are warm then they need to be disconnected, cleaned and reassembled.
If you have a volt meter measure the battery voltage when nothing is hapening whichshould be about 6.5 volts. Measure again when the starter is turning. If it drops a long way when the starter is operating it could be the battery is aging.
Jim
If you have the type of starter motor that has the mechanical pull switch on the body it would be worth taking it off and checking for contamination/wear on the contacts.
If you have a crank handle does the engine turn normally? If no handle put it in top gear and check whether it moves when pushed. If it's difficult to turn the engine remove the plugs and check again. If things are normal it probably is starter connections or battery.
What kind of distributor do you have fitted?
Try with ignition OFF putting the car in gear and then rocking it backwards and forwards in case the starter is stuck to the flywheel. If the car moves easily the starter will not be stuck.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thank you everyone, sound advice, will try again later. I have a Bosch disco fitted. Will check for hot joints .
Regards Clive Medland
Has it ever run, do you know? If yes, what was the last thing that was done to it?
Hi, just gone outside to check wiring, burnt my finger on the starter motor terminal.
Guess what is tomorrows job ??  Thank you once again for your help. Regards Clive Medland
Some sound advice there.

I always use Hugh's approach, when I - are anyone around me develops a car problem....What did you last do to it?

Nick's comment about contamination between the starter contacts, reminded me of the time I had a problem similar to yours. It turned out to be oil leaking onto the starter and finding its way between the points. That got a bit smoky when I pulled the starter cable. It was a simple job to take the starter switch assembly off and clean it.

Good luck Clive. Hope you find a simple solution.

Colin