The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Springs - packing plates
Thanks all for your input. Clearly the packing bits are not essential - Although in the case of the spring I have removed, without the packing there would be a 5/16" approx. gap between the bottom of the spring and the bottom of the chassis frame in the region of the u-bolt. I guess tightening the u-bolt would force the spring down and away from the top of the chassis frame!

My knowledge of this subject is not enough to fill the preverbial postage stamp.

I think I will have to do some careful measuring and wait until I have the new springs in my hand.

If David Cochrane sees this thread, could I ask you to say what the BR63 and BR81 that you don't have in stock are made of????

Take care all.

Dave
I have “Dunford” rear springs as Ruby was quite lopsided at the rear end. Upon removal of the original springs there was a red fibre packer under each spring.
There was also a red fibre packer between the front spring and the chassis, however the front spring was in very good condition and was therefore kept.
When replacing the springs I included new red fibre packers purchased from Seven Workshop and replaced the originals front and back.
All feels good to date.
Dave, if you have 5/16" Gap then the incorrect springs are fitted to your chassis. If your car is a special this information is irrelevant as it will weigh a lot less than a saloon or tourer so will consequently need lighter rated springs, in which case simply fit a packer to take up the gap, this can made from mild steel. If its an original car then you may need a new set of springs from the likes of Mr Dunford.
Black Art Enthusiast
I am a little confused.
Although it was 10 ish years ago I am sure when I removed my front and rear springs (33 RP), because they were all very saggy, they had packing pieces (front and rear) and that new red fibre packing pieces came with the new springs from Mr Dunford snr. All were thoroughly greased and slotted back in perfectly, all tight and no slop. Perhaps they have changed since or is my memory playing games?
Old Dave: all I would say is that the fit should be tight. The big bolt through the spring will secure it in place but I think that it will twist and flex if it isn't also tight in the slot.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Packing pieces used to available through the 7Workshop and others, in material as described by Ian above.

So far as I know it is no longer a stock item.

I have never used it on any of the (hundreds) of springs I have fitted over the years - that does not mean you cannot fit it, just that I have not.

Some people like to fit it because it was originally, in my experience it is not needed and I can evidence that there is no detriment in leaving it out.

It’s personal choice and if you requested it from my father, he would have sold you it.
Andy,

I have now located your original order to Ian in May 2015 - you requested packing pieces and Ian replied to say that he did not stock these but they were available from the 7Workshop - where he also worked at the time. I will PM the entire message to you for peace of mind.
Now that’s what I call customer service, nice one Ruairidh!
Like Ruairidh I’ve never fitted spring packings. The RL has had Dunford springs without packings for at least 20 years and the Ulster for 15 or so, that’s besides the others I’ve fitted. No complaints, no problems. Actually, I can’t see why you’d want to introduce a compressible element like a wooden or fibre packer into the joint in question.
Alan Fairless
Thanks R, at least my mind wasn't playing complete tricks on me.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Wink 
My pleasure, Andy. I wish I could claim the same!! Sad