The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 Clutch
Exclamation 
Morning ,I`m helping a friend who is doing a full restoration on his "7" He now finds,he cannot select a gear if the engine is running only when stopped .I checked the clutch pedal lever and found it fouls the crankcase before the clutch is separated Since the pedal fits onto the lever in only one position due to a groove in the lever to fit a bolt into at a certain position,then I take it the lower end of the shaft is splined where it fits onto the clutch plate operating shaft .If so it looksw as though it is in the wrong position .If this is the case how should the pedal lever be fitted onto the shaft Hope this is cleas enough Len

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

https://archive.a7ca.org/collections/han...arts-lists

It might be worth looking at the parts list for your friend’s car at the location above. The illustrations therein are drawings and not always 100% accurate but they should give you a clue. There are no splines on the clutch cross shaft. The pedal for the 4 speed box is clamped by its bolt and can be rotated wrt to the shaft. There is a slot in the other end of the shaft which gives you a chance of rotating it enough to gain adjustment. The three speed box pedal is secured by a cotter pin and is barely adjustable. If your friend’s car has a 3 speed box the problem most likely lies within the bell housing.

Hope this is some help.

Regards

Stuart
There are no splines in the cluch linkage. The problem will be in the three toggles that actuate the clutch. They need to be adjusted so that the clearance between the toggle and the cluch plate is correct.
It is possible that the clutch linings are worn. If this is the case there will not be enough travel on the clutch for it to disengage.
This is described in the manual by Woodrow.
Jim
Hi Len

Another possibility is that the clutch withdrawal levers are loose on the shaft.  They attach using small taper pins and I’ve had them come loose in the past.  Whatever the problem I find it is best sorted with the engine and gearbox out of the car. Sorry if that causes lots of extra work!

Howard
Looking at the photo, is this possibly a low frame chassis  engine crankcase fitted into a high frame chassis ?
The photos in the attached link show the raised flange above the starter bendix housing on the left crankcase (low frame) compared with the absence of the said flange on the crankcase (high frame) in the right hand photo. https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...+crankcase
Bristol Austin Seven website also has an excellent article on this subject 
Just a thought!
Cheers 
Roger
Hello I`ve contacted my friend and it is a 4 speed  box all original .as to when he stripped it .Is it possible the clutch lever could be fitted onto the cross shaft in a different position ,or is it fixed 
Yes, you need to loosen the pinchbolt on the clutch pedal which clamps it onto the shaft, and with a lever through the lubricating hole, hold the release mechanism forward while you re-tighten the clamp bolt, with the pedal as far back as you can get it. The nearside end of the clutch shaft has a slot in it if you'd prefer trying to hold it with a broad blade screwdriver. It's probably better to try and do it with an assistant, unless you've got three very strange arms.
Your latest question was answered by my good self an hour after you first asked…..still, Bruce has brought it to your attention so that’s a step forward.

I echo Jim’s modest proposal that acquiring some books would be a good idea. The Woodrow manual as he suggests and probably the 750 mc companion, available from the PWA7C website.

We are much better served for written information now than we were in the 1960s, a shame not to take advantage of it. I will again mention the A7CA archive as a worthwhile resource.

Regards,

Stuart
Hello thanks for the info I have sent it to my friend who has the "7" its been a very useful reply from you Len
Hello thanks for your previous answer When you hold the release mech.forward,is this until you feel the levers are being touched IE a slight pressure on the mechanism Len