The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting Narrow Strips of Metal
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I did look for some suitable stock metal, but without success. I shall try the places suggested here as they are somewhere I have not tried.

I also like the look of the cutter tool, Matthew.

I did try a couple of places that cut metal sheet, but they said that the width was too narrow for their machines. I shall keep looking, though.

Jamie.
The difficulty is that most guillotines have a shearing blade which is likely to be 8-12mm thick and no stop can be fitted inboard of that width. What material are you looking for, steel, brass,aluminium...? What lengths?

I've sent you a PM.
I've used in the past a piece of (say) 1/4" ply as a support below the metal in a small bandsaw, using a fine tooth blade to cut narrow strips of brass and aluminium with success at 
1mm thickness although I think mild steel of that thickness would wear out the blade very rapidly.
Try it - you made get the result you want.
good luck
Bob
Rather than cutting narrow strips, which I then planned to roll into a circle, a friend has suggested slicing rings off from a suitably sized length of tube. He seems confident that he has the equipment to do this, so we shall give it a go. 

Failing that, back to the drawing board.

Jamie.
How long do you need these strips to be if you are contemplating slicing tube?
You have me(and others I'm sure) fascinated as to what these are for?
Spill the beans please!
I’ve just cut a 500mm *4mm strip in 1mm steel sheet on my 3ft guillotine and over that length the wind is almost 90 degrees…
Do you have anyone local with a water jet cutter or laser cutter ?
Duncan:
The strips need to be a gnat's whisker under 14cm long. I shall happily post a picture if I am successful with what I am trying to do. It is nothing exciting, though.

Austin in the Shed:
A local engineering works has been suggested to me; the sort of place that is happy to do small jobs for sensible money. Fingers crossed that they will be able to do the job.

Jamie.