The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here we go again!
My youngest son has been expressing an interest in owning an Austin Seven ever since the Centenary. He was tempted with a few Rubies but was put off when he found out they weren't eligible for trials use, which he also fancies having a go at.

I offered to go halves with him, if we could find a suitable, preferably vintage car at an affordable price. Last weekend, we bought this at the latest Richard Edmonds Auction in Chippenham.

.jpg   YW 1269.jpg (Size: 133.08 KB / Downloads: 787)

Off the road since 1967 I believe, the body is actually very sound. It needs a few bits and pieces of welding around the usual areas in the floor, plus the spare wheel mounting is falling apart but otherwise, it's not too bad.
We're going to keep it with its "distressed" paintwork, make it as standard as possible, so that it can run in standard class but it looks like we'll need a new hood!

Priority is to get it driving ASAP, prove it over the summer and then get some marshalling in with a view to getting onto the Welsh and/or the Cotswold in the Autumn.

I'll provide updates as we go....
Very nice car for quite a soothing price. Have fun.
The 80mph Speedo is clearly an ambitious target

Charles
looks fabulous please keep the patina :-)
Why, that looks grand....
I had thought the days of reasonably-priced and usable Chummies had gone for good. Seems I was wrong. Which is good news (even if it makes mine worth a bit less).

I hope you and your son have a great time and a lot of fun with it.
That looks fun, enjoy!
Wonderful! Who needs a hood anyway?
The prices at the sale were interesting. The richly patinated trials car seemed very reasonable indeed, and it will be good to see it back in use. There had been no debate about other cars in the forum. Lot 605 was an unusual machine, was that polite enough? As for the reserve on lot 615…. Quite what the Tuckett Brothers thuoght about the Model,T prices I know not, the word at the bus stop was not that they were selling off loads of stock. If they were, a pub in North Marston would have been a very good place to be on Saturday night.
What a lovely, original example! Congratulations to both of you.

Regards,
Prithvi
And we're away!

First thing to sort out is the body. Chummy spare wheel area is always "dodgy", a design flaw, as it was really too weak. I've removed all the split and broken aluminium to get back to the split and broken steel:

But there's a problem: the rear floor, under the rear seat is worse than I thought  Sad

A very dirty afternoon spent under the car, removing the rivets and making a cut, has seen the emaciated panel removed.

Next job will be to drag out some 18SWG steel (sorry, 1.2mm) and fabricate a replacement.