The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1924 CAV switch panel
I recently found a very nice early CAV switch panel to go in my 1924 car and replace the incorrect later one that had been fitted, but i don't know anyone near me with an early Chummy to ask questions of.

So i wondered, could anyone here enlighten me on what the 3 buttons D, H & S should be operating?

Although i'm guessing S must be for the 'Sport Mode'  :-D

[Image: IMG_20240225_122107.jpg.opt1160x870o0%2C0s1160x870.jpg]
That's for a car with separate side and headlamps, probably an Austin Twelve. The buttons are Dynamo, Headlamps and Sidelamps. I think the Seven unit used a 16amp Ammeter, the 20amp unit was used with a 12volt system.
Thanks Mike. I'd guessed that's what they were but thought i'd better check Wink
The Early Seven Ramblings No2 ,(The News Letter for the Pram Hood Register) has relevant information on the CAV circular switch Panel. On the earliest models had the letters DYN LTS DIM, then later came D H S, (as shown in the photo), and finally, (before the introduction of the early Lucas panel), DYN H S & T .
Would there be a problem using this on an early Chummy? I imagine these switch panels would not be an easy item to find these days.
Interesting to note that the + - 20 Amp meter was used on the larger Model Austins.
The DYN LTS DIM panel switches the lights circuit from series to parallel, allowing the use of just the one single-filament bulb in the headlight. The D L S and DYN H S&T switches require a separate sidelight bulb and appropriate circuit.
Hi Dirk
The switch panel you have is not for a seven. The switch "S" is for side on a twelve or a twenty.
The austin seven one has "dim" on the right. 
You can with a lot of care modify the switch function to be as the austin seven one (this puts the single filiment headlight bulbs into series). 
The amp meter could do with changing as well the 1924 austin seven one should be silver faced and 16 amp maximum deflection.
If you get the bits together to convert it - I might be able to find a cover plate with "dim" on it.
Hi Nick, many thanks for the info, it isn't a standard car and has 12v electrics at the moment so the ampage difference on the dial doesn't bother me too much, i think i'll live with it!
Just before I put on waterproof layers and head across the border into the wilds of Herefordshire, why has no owner of Sevens in Wales yet asked if the panel was intended for sale here, with some Welsh words on it?
There's not enough room on the panel for all the Ls required!