The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas C35M overhaul advice requested
Hi

I am in the throes of rebuilding a Lucas C35M dynamo.  There was a rather alarming 30 thou of end play, but most of this was traced to the three countersunk screws holding the bearing retaining plate all being loose.  Whoever refitted them years ago made a mess of the staking and the heads were in a terrible state.

Are the three retaining screws 2BA ?

If I still have residual end play, what's the best way to shim it out ?

Is the ball bearing 15 x 35 x 11 Metric ?  If so I plan to use a 6202-2RS sealed type to replace it.

At the distributor end, the thread in the gear retaining nut and on the very end of the shaft is in a poor way.  Can I dispense with the rather bulky Thakray washer and use something thinner so that I get more usable thread ?  Loctite will also be used.

The distributor drive gear had copious graphite grease, is this normal ?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the first time I have had one of these beasts apart.  BTW the electrical side of things is working fine.
The distributor gears need to be greased, or they will wear to become razor thin and fail to engage.

When in service, greasing can be achieved without dismantling by removing the end cap which is held in place by a wire circlip.

.jpg   Photo 14 Dynamo drive end bearing.jpg (Size: 37.65 KB / Downloads: 95) If there is still end float You may find that the spacer between the gear and bearing has been worn down, I have quite a few short ones.