The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rist Horns
Production engineering was well established at Longbridge by 1938; the Ruby and Big 7 sharing many components, including electrical parts such as the horn.

This is from my spring 1938 built, very original Big 7.
Thanks Gents for taking the time to clarify the Rist horn usage.  My conclusion from reading all of your advice and attachments is that sometime during the Ruby production Austin started fitting Altette horns instead of Rist Horns.  
When I bought my Ruby it had a faulty horn that resembled the photo above.  I exchanged it for another horn (which is definitely not an Altette) that now is faulty and have been offered a Rist horn to replace it.  In view of the above, I think that I will look for an Altette or something that looks similar.
Regards
Graham
Have you thought about restoring it? There is technical information available on the tinternet. I have restored mine as they are quite simple in design and how they work.
Good luck.
10 seconds on Google returned this as the first hit

https://www.nortonownersclub.org/node/9300
I have a misbehaving Altette taken off my February 1937 Ruby - it can work, but not reliably, so obviously needs some adjustment.  

Following the above link for a little while, I arrived at this document:

https://www.mg-tabc.org/library/Altette_Horn.pdf

which looks useful.
I have the original Rist Horn for my RP but I have swapped it for a modern 6v klaxon I bought on a French Classic accessory site. It is VERY loud! The Rist, by comparison, was a pathetic "croak" and more frustratingly only worked when it felt like it. The klaxon is operated by a push button on the dash, but I only use it for show.

The main horn is a 6v Lucas which a former colleague at work gave me - it came from a Panther 600 allegedly. It's also very effective. Looks like the Altette.

[Image: 20200501-143804.jpg]

sorry, posted the wrong image earlier