The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Longbridge Estate
As part of my research for an article I have been writing for a forthcoming Association Magazine, I have been looking at the 1921 UK Census records and the residents of the Longbridge Estate. For those unfamiliar, this was built by Herbert Austin to the north of the factory towards the end of WW1 to house around 7000 employees. These houses are still lived in. Whilst I have not carried out exhaustive research, the variety of the employees jobs at the Works is fascinating but perhaps more interesting is that quite a few add a note in the employment column saying '  out of work '. I am presuming this means they were laid off and obviously reflects the downturn in business at Austin's in 1921 when it was thought the Company might go under. 
One family I found has one of their daughters listed as being ' governess to Lady Austin. '
Any notes on the family who hosted S.H.E?
Hi Chris

Were they available, the 31 census records would have provided an interesting comparison of people that remained in the estate between 21 and 31. Unfortunately I believe the 31 records were destroyed in a fire in 1942.

Look forward to the article.

Howard
Ruairidh,
One the day that the census was taken, Stanley Edge is listed as being at home with his parents and sister in Old Hill. 
Sir Herbert was with his wife, two daughters, Arthur Waite and three servants at Lickey Grange. 
The Clintons in the Lodge and where Stanley lived whilst working with Sir Herbert, are listed with their four children.
Very interesting, thank you.
We have been doing lots of Census work as part of researching the history of our house and whilst the 31 records were destroyed, there is a 'pseudo census' from 1939 in preparation for identity cards at the outbreak of war. This would perhaps give a 'Austin 7 effect' view.

We are currently searching through the 1841 census, scant and difficult reading.

Unfortunately the next census to be released will be in 2052 so perhaps a little while to wait...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Andy,
The 'Census' took place on Friday 29th September 1939 and was termed the 1939 England and Wales Register. It was a snapshot of the population taken just prior to hostilities commencing. 40 million people were registered. As well as the usual name, address, sex, DOB and occupation, it allowed for the inclusion of other occupations. eg Air Raid Warden. It was not fool proof though, as my father and his family for instance cannot be found, although neighbours were. As Howard points out the '31 Census was lost and, due to the War, the '41 Census could not be taken .
I have yet to explore this Register with regard to the Longbridge Estate.

Ruairidh,
The 1921 Census took place on Sunday 19th June and had been postponed from April due to industrial unrest. This would explain Stanley Edge being recorded as being at home and not with the Clintons at Lickey Grange Lodge.
The census records the place where the individual during the night of the prescribed date, suggesting Stanley must have travelled back to work on the morning of the 20th June.
Thank you, Chris.
Keep up the good work Chris.  I traced one line of my parents to my 10th Great-Grandfather, born 1550, and also a report that two men were hanged for stealing a few sheep from an earlier Grandfather.  All this found online; there's plenty of information out there.
Don't believe all you read in this age of A I rubbish  Huh