The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trialing a ruby!
In a few weeks the Scottish Austin Seven Club along with the Monklands Sporting Car Club are having a prodiction car trial, i have entered, and the only car i have that is in a near roadworthy / driving state is my Mk1 Pearl. 

From experience of these trials before, which i done in a Ford Ka, they are very tame compared with the traditional trials, so i think the Pearl will be ok, however a search online, Facebook etc throws up little or no images of Ruby's trialing, clearly they are heaver than their older counterparts for one, but surley its been done before plenty of times.
Jack McEwen in his Opal during the 1962 NMMC Autumn Sporting Trial:

and my Ruby setting out a trials section in 1971:

Jack gained a Second Class Award, my Ruby proved rather less effective!
Did the 1996 Chobham Trial in my ARQ Ruby BXE 95,
First time I ever did a trial, and won !!!! got the plaque, but never did see the cup. oh well.
The Works competition department had a supercharged Ruby but I think it was only used for rallies.    There is a super publicity film of the new Austin 8 tackling Lakeland passes which should give you some hope.  Might be worthwhile fitting that pair of Nobby spring helpers that you are bound to have on your shelf?
I remember Andy Hastings trialling his Ruby years ago. It wasn’t terribly successful but looked a lot of fun.
Alan Fairless
Fit the Nobby springs and tell the scrutes that the suitcase on the luggage rack contains the sandwiches that you will be taking to Aunt Muriel in South Morningside after the trial. As aunt Muriel traditionally greets you “ you’ll have had your sash weights, then.”
Plenty of rubys out trialing, even more ruby based specials including ours. A set of Mitas K70 copies on the rear will help as most road tires offer little grip in the mud.
(08-02-2024, 01:50 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: The Works competition department had a supercharged Ruby but I think it was only used for rallies.    There is a super publicity film of the new Austin 8 tackling Lakeland passes which should give you some hope.  Might be worthwhile fitting that pair of Nobby spring helpers that you are bound to have on your shelf?

I do indeed, i probably dont have the time to fit them tho!

(08-02-2024, 07:26 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Fit the Nobby springs and tell the scrutes that the suitcase on the luggage rack contains the sandwiches that you will be taking to Aunt Muriel in South Morningside after the trial. As aunt Muriel traditionally greets you “ you’ll have had your sash weights, then.”

I did think abut a concrete spare wheel - a bit more discreet, possibly! 

(08-02-2024, 07:43 PM)frequentflyer Wrote: Plenty of rubys out trialing, even more ruby based specials including ours. A set of Mitas K70 copies on the rear will help as most road tires offer little grip in the mud.

Not sure there are plenty of Rubys out trialing - never seem to see any photos from recent events etc - a Ruby special is more akin to a standard seven than a ruby

Thanks everyone for the replys, we will see how things go, one thing is certian tho, the Waymaster tyres will be getting swapped out for somthing with a bit more grip!