The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 bearing engine center shells needed
Hi we are trying to get a set of +20 shells for a 3 bearing engine with no sucess with the usal suppliers and we are reluctant to grind crank down to +30 as its good!ive been told its the same shells in the reliant engine can anyone confirm this,also is it possible to machine down a set of +30 to fit im not sure how much white metal is on the shell I would presume the steel backing is the same for all sizes so might be possible.
thanks Jeff Blight North devon 07891 036231
Jeff, centre main shells, right?

There aren't many things which will drop straight in.

AE/Glacier M3333M
Vandervell VP91162
Reliant 92627
- will fit, but you'll probably have to file off the locating tabs.
(Don't panic - it's not too hard if  done with care. And the tabs are only for assembly, it's the nip of the shells which stops them rotating in service).
You might also have to drill an oil hole - again, not too hard if approached with thought and care.

Somewhat easier to get hold of are :-
Glacier AEM3282
Vandervell VP244
(Mini 850)
These are a little too wide, but can be clamped in a suitable jig and the excess width trimmed off with a lathe (or even with a junior hacksaw at a pinch - but NOT a grinding wheel), taking great care not to embed swarf in the bearing surfaces!
Same comments about tabs and oil holes apply.

Have a look on eBay as there is usually one of these options.
if you get really stuck give me a shout as I might be able to help.

For goodness' sake don't start trying to turn bearing metal off shells...

it's your lucky day - be quick
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404739758593?...R_yP--yrYw
Yes Chris center main thanks for your quick reply will have a look at ebay looks promising
Jeff
Doubt you'll find anything better. If you need help getting them to fit by all means message me.
Jeff, sending you a PM....