The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery clamping
I’m just relocating my 6v battery to under the passenger seat and would welcome ideas of how best to secure it in place please
Mine has a length of bar 1/4" with a right angle on the bottom end. It is passed through the drain hole in the battery box and up to & through a piece of angled alloy sheet that fits onto the top of the battery. The top end of the bar is threaded and locks into place with a double nut. Been like that since time mint imperial and works well. I use a wooden spacer to keep the battery firm up against the side of the battery box. I'll get you a pic tomorrow.
Mine is just dropped in the hole. Can't say I've ever rolled the car to see what would happen.
What I would suggest is a loop of webbing or similar which passes under its base, which can then act as a handle for lifting it out with ease.
Yep, mine’s just dropped in the hole, bars, clamps and pieces of would add weight and would slow it down…
(18-01-2024, 09:43 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Mine is just dropped in the hole. Can't say I've ever rolled the car to see what would happen.
What I would suggest is a loop of webbing or similar which passes under its base, which can then act as a handle for lifting it out with ease.

I have rolled a Seven and I've seen what can happen with a battery that's not clamped down. I wouldn't recommend it Sad
Endorse the advice regarding the webbing loop.

Steve
(18-01-2024, 10:26 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I have rolled a Seven and I've seen what can happen with a battery that's not clamped down. I wouldn't recommend it Sad

Your diligence in testing the effectiveness (or otherwise) of battery clamping techniques is much appreciated!
In the car industry we have test dummies for that sort of thing. In the VSCC we have ……….
Alan Fairless
Hi Peter

This is the strapping arrangement for the under passenger seat battery on my Special.  My RK has a similar but webbed strap.

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   IMG_1318.jpeg (Size: 69.8 KB / Downloads: 153)
(18-01-2024, 11:13 PM)Alan Wrote: In the car industry we have test dummies for that sort of thing. In the VSCC we have ……….

Yes, you've got it about right there, mate Blush Fortunately, the battery was in the boot of my trials special so isolated from us.

Steve
Very posh is that, Howard. You put me to shame... (the extra wiring is for my 6v to 12v converter for phone charging etc)

[Image: 20240119-103408.jpg]