The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Alternative engines in an Austin Seven
Well, it's a lovely day here in the Peak District. Not a cloud in sight, -1C, and would be a great time for a drive if it were not for the salty roads. So, to fill a corner, what do we know about the different makes of engines that have been fitted to the A7 over the past decades?
I know that several American Austin 7s have been converted into V8 hot rods - leaving little of the original car save for some body parts - but I was wondering what engines have been used that needed little in the way of other serious modifications?
Define "serious modification"...
One of these, perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ul7Z3comAI
Reliant side-valve, Reliant ohv, Ford 8/10hp side-valve, BMC A-Series for starters...
Rather than the rather difficult business of defining 'serious modification', perhaps it might be better to list what's left as original. e.g. Apart from ****** engine, stiffer springs, a Getrag 6-speed gearbox, and a shortened propshaft, the car was entirely unmodified".
Kubota 3 cyl to give 120 mpg?
In that case, the following have been achieved:

Riley 9
Jap
Reliant S/V and OHV
3 cylinder 2-stroke
Variety of A-Series engines
Lister
Ford V8
Austin straight 8
Austin V8
Rosengart
Electric
Honda V-Twin
Rudge

I will think on the others.
Can add Ford Model A to that list. I always thought a certain 1100cc French engine would be good. Especially as I could enter VSCC events as an Austin Ruby.
Alan Fairless
Or a certain Belgian engine, and then it could be an Austin Pipe. More detail please, exactly what Lister? An HR3 whether with marine gearbox or otherwise, would require quite a lot of chassis modification

.jpeg   Diesel Austin 1.jpeg (Size: 50.06 KB / Downloads: 526)