The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed headlamp on Mk1 March 1935 Ruby.
I have a  problem with one of the headlamps on my Ruby in as much as only one of the bulbs filaments lights. Not sure if it’s the main beam o dip as the car is kept at my sons and I have not seen it fore myself as yet. The bulb has been tested and is ok on both filaments. My question is before I start tracing and checking the lighting wiring are there any fuses I should check first.

John Mason.o
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
On the cars as built, the lighting circuit had no fuses. I would be inclined to check the earthing arrangement for the headlamp first. I had a similar problem with the RP a couple of weeks ago and that turned out to be due to a poor earth connection.
As David says, first look for a poor earth, failing that a poor connection somewhere else - follow the wires.
It's inadvisable to put the lights on a fuse (on one fuse, at least) as this would result in sudden and total loss of illumination in the event of a fuse blowing; whereas if a bulb goes there's generally still one other light.
Hi

If the other headlamp is still working on both beams that suggests the dip switch is OK.

Even if only one beam works at normal brilliance that suggests the (common) earth is OK on that lamp.

You tell us the bulb filaments are both OK.

As far as I can see, that only leaves the wiring from dip switch to headlamp, and the connector to the bulb.