The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - November 2023
It were reight grim livin in Sheffuld then I can tellya. I used to catch two trams, one into town and one out to my school and then the same back home. Every week I had to take my A3 drawing board on the tram.(Not allowed to leave it at school.) Everywhere was mucky. My mum used to complain about smuts on her washing ( or weshin in the vernacular) Aye, they were grand days!
I also spotted the fishtail on the bike, however I'd be surprised to see a Velo with a chair these days, far too nice to do that to one! Looks like it was a window cleaning enterprise...ladders, bucket etc.
Looks like it's taken from a first floor window of the Heeley Coliseum, the points on the tram track being a simple crossover. I lived about 150 yards away, just off the same road.  There was another cinema, the Heeley Palace, just 50 yards from the Coliseum, where, as 10 year old boys, we would wait around by an exit door until someone came out so we would sneak in before the door closed again. Happy days!

attachment=23132]
.jpg   large.jpg (Size: 225.34 KB / Downloads: 301)
.jpg   large (3).jpg (Size: 337.41 KB / Downloads: 299)

Attached Files
.jpg   large (2).jpg (Size: 63.59 KB / Downloads: 292)
Well done, Mick! I think you are correct; if H Savage's shop is number 480, that places the tram heading south on London Road, just past the junction of Sark Road - none of the buildings in the photo survive. The structure on the left in the photo with the floodlights is the awning of The Coliseum.
Some of the shops were still standing in 2009. Number 480, Savage the butcher had gone by 2009 but the shops to the left were still standing and the rooflines are recognisable from the old photo.

I reinstated our RN sunshine roof 29 years ago and it is still watertight.
(01-11-2023, 04:39 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: It were reight grim livin in Sheffuld then I can tellya. I used to catch two trams, one into town and one out to my school and then the same back home. Every week I had to take my A3 drawing board on the tram.(Not allowed to leave it at school.) Everywhere was mucky. My mum used to complain about smuts on her washing ( or weshin in the vernacular) Aye, they were grand days!

Luxury! We used ta dream O.......  Big Grin
Is the Austin an RM? the door and roof look that way to me.   Could be wrong!
(02-11-2023, 04:50 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Is the Austin an RM? the door and roof look that way to me.   Could be wrong!

From the photo, it looks to be a long wheelbase chassis, but no rear fuel tank, so RN I think.
Definitely an RN, the doors aren't cut away and the scuttle waist line is RN. It looks like the sunshine roof has been binned and the new covering is attached behind the gutters.