The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its only been around 45 years!
It all started in the early 1970s when my father bought his first Chummy after looking for one for sometime. It was a red 1927 one and pretty much standard apart from brass headlights and a later 4 speed gear box. 

I don't remember that one being driven as it needed work doing to it. He wanted one in better condition and so then bought another one. This was standard, again 1927, bluey green in colour. Registration is DF 2993 which I see is in the archive - it still exists!

In my early twenties myself and girlfriend, now wife used it for runs and attending rallies including Longbridge and Stamford Hall. I was a member of the Midlands Austin 7 Club and attended meetings in Coleshill and Knowle (The Red Lion).

My father never used to drive the Seven much and, as is often the case, I found that work, marriage and family etc. meant that time was an issue and I stopped using it as well. It was therefore just left garaged. The last time I drove it was 1977 and it has been garaged ever since though it has been unceremoniously covered up by various things.

My mother recently passed away, my father sometime ago, and so the Chummy will see the light of day again! It will be good to get it uncovered and assess it's condition. It was a runner when garaged though there was some rot in the floor that needed attention.

I've got some photographs somewhere which I shall dig out and post later.

Chris
We look forward to the photos Chris, always good to hear of the next generation taking up the baton.
Welcome back. the Midlands club meets at Beoley Village Hall on the last Tuesday of the month; you would be most welcome to join us. The club celebrated 50 years in 2022 and produced an event programme for their rally at Charlecote Park with many memories of the time you were attending
Thank you Peter, I shall locate the cardboard box in the spare room.

And thank you Lowespeed. How did I miss Charlecote Park, it's only a few miles from me!

Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

First two are photos of our cars.

I don't remember the red one being used, obviously needed some new tyres (!) but otherwise it wasn't in bad nick. I always used to like the non-standard bonnet strap.

The rest were from a display in the 70s at Archers garage in Shirley, Solihull.

Anyone remember going or recognize any of the cars?

I've got some shots from one of the rallies, which I'm scanning.

Attached Files
.jpg   Austin 7 - 1.jpg (Size: 171.06 KB / Downloads: 308)
.jpg   Austin 7 - 2.jpg (Size: 140.82 KB / Downloads: 306)
.jpg   Archers 1.jpg (Size: 162.05 KB / Downloads: 304)
.jpg   Archers 2.jpg (Size: 165.86 KB / Downloads: 307)
.jpg   Archers 3.jpg (Size: 152.57 KB / Downloads: 307)
.jpg   Archers 4.jpg (Size: 148.49 KB / Downloads: 306)
.jpg   Archers 5.jpg (Size: 131.85 KB / Downloads: 306)
Photos from one of the 70s Longbridge Rallies.

Some more.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Rally 4.jpg (Size: 167.35 KB / Downloads: 286)
.jpg   Rally 5.jpg (Size: 217.07 KB / Downloads: 288)
.jpg   Rally 6.jpg (Size: 187.85 KB / Downloads: 287)
.jpg   Rally 7.jpg (Size: 199.58 KB / Downloads: 286)
.jpg   Rally 8.jpg (Size: 206.9 KB / Downloads: 288)
.jpg   Rally 9.jpg (Size: 167.69 KB / Downloads: 287)
.jpg   Rally 10.jpg (Size: 173.8 KB / Downloads: 289)
Great to see UR 4572. A car I know so well and still in the same family ownership as it was then.

Steve
Ditto YT 2732!
If memory serves me correctly, the red Nippy AMH 836 belonged to a lad called Chris Gordon who had an antique shop in Moseley. According to DVLA, it’s still about and taxed.
Some of the pictures refer to an event at Archers Garage Solihul and I see one is of my 1930 RK saloon reg number VX 6119. I will try to insert another picture possibly of the same event  dated March 1976. Can anyone confirm or know anything about the event?