The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby door pins
Hi all,can someone out there please explain how to remove the door hinge pins from our MK2 Ruby,.I have bought a new set from one of our 'Cherished Suppliers'. I am having a lot of problems trying to remove the original pins ,I do not want to apply heat as the paint work is in good condition,I have applied releasing fluid for a time but still no joy. The reason for wanting to fit new one is the original pins have a lot off play in the hinge. Thanks, S&P.
Hi Stuart. One of the problems when dealing with the hinge pins is that they wear with big 'steps' in them, so it may be that that is stopping them coming out easily. Perhaps if a willing helper could be found that gently lifted the door making sure the pins were ideally aligned while you gently tapped might help? Do they move at all? The other thing that has been known to happen is that an earlier attempt at removing the pins has left the end burred over where hit with a blunt instrument...

hth...
As Hugh said or with gentle use of a scissor jack to slightly raise the door.
I found filing flats on the heads of the pins allowed rotation of the pins which helped.
Also found with the pins removed, the holes in the hinges were very oval, worn thin and needed reforging and weld build up to strengthen them.
I recently had to do this on my Box. One thing I learned is that attempting to drift the pin up from below can easily peen over the end of the pin such that it jams once it gets to the hinge body - in which case drift it back down again and file the end of the pin (sides) a little.  

I gave up on two of the hinges and simply unscrewed them from the door.
Hi and thanks for all your tips the pins are held in  vey solidly, will invite the 'wife' into the garage and get the boss to hold the door open and see how  that goes  maybe the best plan would be to grind off the hinge pin heads and the drill  out the pin. Will let you know how 'we' get on S&P Angry
When I re-built my Ruby the doors were off and there was no paintwork on the bodywork to worry about. Tried everything short of drilling them out. Gave up in the end!
Hi, all, just one more question, is there any adjustment to be had from the top door  hinge  as you can gain access from the glove  box. Thanks. S&P
If all else fails remove the hinge and dump it in a plastic can of Deox C it's very good for removing rust from hinges.
Hi all, I have managed to drill out the hinge pins on the n-s door today.  more fun to follow S&P