The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Avenue
We are away for a few days in Essex and paid a (very) fleeting visit to Jaywick - which has an interesting and rather chequered history. A section of the village has streets named after motor manufacturers of the past so we had to pay a visit to the most important one...

I looked this up on Google Maps, and there are many old British and american car manufacturers, was surprised to see Fiat tho.

Also from Wikipedia it states that the original layout was in the design of a car radiator grill, and when looked from google maps you can see what was achieved. There does seem to be a later extension and Lotus Way added with more american car manufacturers on the opposite side of this.

Very interesting tho Nick
Love the fact that ‘Brooklands’ is the coast road that ties all the other roads together.

Cheers

Howard
I think Belsize is probably the biggest surprise, no Clyno, Calcott, Cubitt, Ford, Railton, Star, or Vauxhall, though!
Hi Mike

Vauxhall is there! Furthest west avenue.

Cheers

Howard
I think the kindest I can be is to say that the place is, er, 'challenged'. I can well imagine that in the 1930s and the immediate post-war period it was a very pleasant place for a holiday. Sadly, recent times have seen it become one of the most deprived communities in the UK.
Jaywick was indeed a decent and popular holiday resort in years gone by, particularly for the working classes of London's East End. 
The rapid decline of the area in recent years I think was partly due to the closure of Butlin's holiday camp in nearby Clacton, which provided a lot of the local employment.
In 1973, having stretched myself to the limit (and a bit beyond) in order to buy my 1934 Ruby a couple of years previously, I found myself being promoted to a full-time post and able to consider purchasing a modest house. In the process of scouting through available properties in my desired area of South Manchester, I discovered a quiet backwater in Didsbury with the most desirable address (though, sadly, not on the market) of number 7 Austin Drive. Now that really would have been the bee's knees.
My first house in the 1960s I named "Austin" 7 Wakefield Close.
There is an "Austin Road" in Bromsgrove just below the Avonscroft museum of Buildings. The By pass around Northfield is "Sir Herbert Austin Way"