The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulkhead hole diameter
Hi all. My firewall  / bulkhead does not have the hole drilled for the vacuum pipe to go through. Anyone know the proper diameter the hole should be WITHOUT the grommet in it?
Thanks,
Stephen

.jpg   BULKHEAD HOLE 1.jpg (Size: 131.8 KB / Downloads: 427)

.jpg   BULKHEAD HOLE 2.jpg (Size: 137.27 KB / Downloads: 426)
Measure the pipe for the right size of grommet and drill a hole to match the grommet?
Duncan, there is no pipe at present, so was wondering what the original factory diameter was.
Thanks,
Stephen
Hi Steve

The pipe on my car is about 1/4” (it’s squishy rubber so difficult to measure exactly). It is reproduction bought from one of our Cherished suppliers.

Hope that helps 

Cheers

Howard
As grommets now all seem to be metric you'd be better off - as others have said - finding some that look to be correct and drilling according to the dimensions of the chosen one (I'd recommend experimenting first on a piece of suitable scrap metal sheet). BTW, the hole would originally have used not a rubber grommet, but one of the rather lovely, two-part, screw-together, nickel-plated metal type. Very similar ones can still be obtained with a search on eBay turning up more than one supplier. Unfortunately, the gap between the two halves of these is greater than the thickness of the bulkhead metal - hence they either need turning down (tricky) or a small washer found or made (very tricky) to compensate.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Tony. From what I can see and extrapolate from photos the hole would appear to be 1/2" diameter. I'll turn something up on the lathe to do the job.
Stephen
I made some up during lockdown for the Top Hat restoration:

.jpg   DSC_1055s.JPG (Size: 67.75 KB / Downloads: 157)
Steve. I think you'll find the diameter is 7/16". I can let you have a brass grommet FOC if it helps.
Parazine. I had a batch made some time back but mine were not as long as yours and closer to the original pattern. I didn't take the risk to Ni plate as I worried about the threads and whether the two halves would screw together after the plate.
Hi Chris, thanks for the information and your generous offer.  I'll go with 7/16" and open it up to 1/2" if need be. I need to turn up a batch of brass grommets anyway for the wiring when the time comes.
Cheers,
Stephen