The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Low Mileage Car??
Is there any way to tell if a car has done only - say 6000 miles - over its 85 year life?  

There is a Ruby on ebay at the moment making that claim - it looks 'well restored' and quite original - but very low miles? - hence my question. 

(Don't know the seller - usual disclaimers.)
I would be extremely sceptical of such a claim; the car has clearly been the subject of a repaint and a rewire, probably a total rebuild, the door cards and seat cushions have been reupholstered (why if it has only done 6,000 miles?).

As a 1939 car it probably saw little use before the War, but immediately post-War it would have had some considerable value, so why did it not get used in, say, the period between 1946 and the mid-fifties, during which time it could quite easily have done over 100,000 miles. I would be fascinated to see what the 'proof' is to support the claimed mileage...
I also note that has lost its original rubber mats; I have owned three Rubies over the years with recorded mileages in the 60-80,000 region which have retained floor mats in good to reasonable condition. I suspect it's actually done those 6,000 miles since the rebuild!
If it’s only done 6000 miles I would not treat it as a selling point. The car must have been standing for long periods or used for very short runs, neither does the engine nor the running gear any favours.

Cheers

Howard
(28-09-2023, 05:05 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I also note that has lost its original rubber mats; I have owned three Rubies over the years with recorded mileages in the 60-80,000 region which have retained floor mats in good to reasonable condition. I suspect it's actually done those 6,000 miles since the rebuild!

The exterior does look, from the pictures, to be original but the first thing that I checked was the floor mats. If these really had been subjected to just 5200 miles of use I'd have bought the car just for them. A new set would have fitted in well with the partially rebuilt interior.  The owner claims to have spent £600 on a dynamo overhaul. If he did, he was done; I've a spare rebuilt one he could have had for £599. Are the leather straps over the wires correct? Here's the beast: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256223602435?...SwV55lCDPH
I've asked the owner for more details, hopefully, they'll be really interesting. Here are 3 pictures with enhanced details:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think the only way to be sure of the total mileage of a car would be to know the whole history from new?

A car may have been neglected - perhaps left outside for quite a while - and so need quite a bit of cosmetic restoration and the interior replacing even if it hasn't ever gone far? But anything that does wear wouldn't be worn after only 6000 miles - all the original mechanical bits and fittings would show age patina - but no wear.

I once had a late Ruby that looked very original - it had never been rebuilt, had original mats (very decrepit) - but I did know the history and it had done a vast mileage by the 1960s. The original 3-bearing engine was there - but it had been put back in again after many years running on a 2-bearing engine. One clue that the car was well-travelled was the metal accelerator pedal - it was half worn away!

Despite the mileage claim being a bit doubtful, this car doesn't look bad from the pictures - given the Chassis No is 287224 (from the register), it will have dowelled wheels and rod rear brakes, being manufactured around July 1938.
My Ruby covers a recorded mileage of 3,975 miles every year. Does this mean that it is barely two years old?
All the electrical parts should have a month and year date on them, ie 06 38 or near if not ?? If not why not?
Looking at the photographs, I find that pretty well impossible to believe.
Confused
Here's the absolutely convincing reply I received from the owner. It's replete with uncontestable evidence that the Ruby has, indeed, barely ever done other than a very occasional trip to the church (on fine Sundays only) during the last 75 years.

"I may have 2 people interested in collecting over the next couple of days il keep you posted if it doesn’t sell would be easier if you was local to come and have a look concrete evidence on something of this age would be a thing I have paperwork dating right back past the 1970s with a enormas bundle of mots back to 70s confirming the millage is correct and it’s stable throughout and very original it was rewired in the 70s and had small changes ie crimps added to horn loom and some connectors added etc ! Il keep you posted once the guys have been if your still interested"

Well, that's convinced me. How can I pay?